Tropical Fish Forum . Net

Tropical Fish Forum . Net (http://www.tropicalfishforum.net/index.php)
-   Water Quality and Algae (http://www.tropicalfishforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Cycling not going as expected? (http://www.tropicalfishforum.net/showthread.php?t=3085)

fairbs

Cycling not going as expected?
 
I have lovely new 8gal nursery tank. Thought I would do fishless cycle by the book. No substrate, no plants. Added dechlorinated water, tetra safestart and ammonia uo to 5ppm . a foam filter plus airpump all 11 days ago.

Absolutely nothing has happened other tha a very small nitrite reading on 2nd day which has since zeroed. Surely something should be moving by now:confused:

ammonia - 5ppm NO2-0 NO3-0 Ph-7.2

Any suggestions please.

D.Gray

Re: Cycling not going as expected?
 
did you put any filter media from another tank in the new tank, and did you put any fish food in the tank? Also could you put some of the water from your existing tank into the new tank?

Those are the only suggestions I have at the moment.

Dave

Sharon

Re: Cycling not going as expected?
 
Hi Richard...have you got a heater running and at what temp...

Dano

Re: Cycling not going as expected?
 
Eleven days is not necessarilly long enough for anything to really happen. Take a hand full of gravel from your established tank and put it in a nylon stocking or bag. Put it in the cycling tank. Any way that you can add beneficial bacteria will help the cycle progress faster..............................Sharon brings up a good point about the tank being heated. ................,Water from an existing tank won't help much as the water will not contain much bacteria. The bacteria only grow on surfaces.

fairbs

Re: Cycling not going as expected?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by D.Gray (Post 21557)
did you put any filter media from another tank in the new tank, and did you put any fish food in the tank? Also could you put some of the water from your existing tank into the new tank?
Those are the only suggestions I have at the moment.Dave


Dave, lost 9 tetras in 3 days 3weeks ago - had them for a year - horrid. All other fish seem ok but darent use filtermedia/water from that tank as may be infected with something:(

fairbs

Re: Cycling not going as expected?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharon (Post 21558)
Hi Richard...have you got a heater running and at what temp...


Hi stranger! great to hear from you. Yes have heater and tank been running at 25 degrees.

fairbs

Re: Cycling not going as expected?
 
[quote=Dano;21559]Eleven days is not necessarilly long enough for anything to really happen.

Dan, ok if that is normal for it to take so long then I shall persevere, but I thought fishless cycling only took about 3 weeks and I am nearly half way through that!!

I have 3 gouramis just busting to get into that tank:)

Dano

Re: Cycling not going as expected?
 
I just Googled "Safestart" as I had never heard of it. Personally I don't know that I trust these bacterial additives. I definitely don't believe in instant cycles.........................Perhaps the stuff works as advertised, but until I saw a high ammonia level drop and the other ammonias rise and drop also, I would not believe the tank to be cycled........................I have seen a substance used that dropped the ammonia, but in a few days it came back......................................I am not telling you not to use the bacterial additives, but just to use caution with the results they produce.

Then again, the stuff might have worked in your tank and it may very well be cycled.

fairbs

Re: Cycling not going as expected?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dano (Post 21563)
I just Googled "Safestart" as I had never heard of it. Personally I don't know that I trust these bacterial additives. I definitely don't believe in instant cycles.........................Perhaps the stuff works as advertised, but until I saw a high ammonia level drop and the other ammonias rise and drop also, I would not believe the tank to be cycled........................I have seen a substance used that dropped the ammonia, but in a few days it came back......................................I am not telling you not to use the bacterial additives, but just to use caution with the results they produce.


Thats interesting. I have alays used safestart. So where do the appropriate bateria come from during the intial stages of cycling??

Dano

Re: Cycling not going as expected?
 
From the Safestart, unless you added something else.


All times are GMT. The time now is .

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.