Tropical Fish Forum . Net

Tropical Fish Forum . Net (http://www.tropicalfishforum.net/index.php)
-   General Freshwater Chats (http://www.tropicalfishforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Did I over do it. (http://www.tropicalfishforum.net/showthread.php?t=1525)

morgansfind

Did I over do it.

Hi all,

OK ,this is what I did. Every day after work I went to a different fish store. (I have a 20 mile commute and there are about 5 fish stores along the way) Anyway, my signature line shows whats in my take now :D. Did I over do it?

I have time to return some of them if it's to many to keep in the tank. Thanks.

Bernie

Re: Did I over do it.

Hi Morgansfind :) I must ask if your tank has fully cycled yet - if it hasn't then you will have problems!

morgansfind

Thanks for the quick reply. The tank is going on it's forth week.

suppleupagus

It's probably not a good idea to go to so many stores on a fish buying spree like that again, if your fish get sick you'll have no idea what fish or store started it and some stores are better with fishkeeping then others. I know it sucks to have a big ol tank sitting with bareley anything in it, but it is best to get just a few at a time and give them a few weeks to acclimate before adding more

Bernie

I'm afraid that is far too many fish for a cycling tank! Am I correct in that you have added new fish every day? & may I ask when did you start added them!

With the tank still cycling - may take 8 wks to fully cycle, adding extra fish each day puts a huge strain on the bio-load & as the beneficial bacteria haven't fully colonised yet, there isn't enough bacteria to deal with the ammonia that is being produced by the fish & food.

Are you testing the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels every dy or 2nd dy & can you tell me what they are? & doing p.w.changes approx. every 3rd dy (this helps keep the levels down while the tank is cycling).

I would recommend returning the neons, head/tail light tetras & Gouramis at least for now, as they don't handle cycling very well - the danios, barbs & harlies are quite hardy but depending on what your water parameters are saying, you may need to return some of them as well.

If you keep a close eye on the levels & do the frequent p.w.changes though they may be OK.

Sorry to put a downer on your enthusiasm!

Dano

:cool: Did I over do it
^
Not cool!

morgansfind

Thank you so much Bernie and Suppleupagus for the wonderful, informative and gracious information. This is great information for a beginner. I am returning the suggested fish in the morning.

Bernie

You're very welcome :) just wondering, do you have the necessary test kits for the ammonia etc. (you will need them) & a PH test kit - but while the tank is cycling, I wouldn't even try to change the PH, because it fluctuates during cycling, which is normal.

You never know morgansfind, if all those fish have been in there for a few wks already & you haven't lost any - they may all be OK, but cycling does greatly stress fish, due to the ammonia spikes etc. which impacts on their immune system & shortens their lifespan.

I would be interested to know what your ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels are!

Good Luck with the fish! lovely fish you chose btw! sounds like a great tank.

joshjoh

ya good luck. After your tanks is cycled you can have aproxamitly 60 inches of fish but add 10 inches a week.

Josh

mrudzki

This sounds like what I used to do. The only difference is that I didn't take my Wallet inside the Shop. I left it in my car :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by morgansfind (Post 9223)
Hi all,

OK ,this is what I did. Every day after work I went to a different fish store. (I have a 20 mile commute and there are about 5 fish stores along the way) Anyway, my signature line shows whats in my take now :D. Did I over do it?

I have time to return some of them if it's to many to keep in the tank. Thanks.