Tropical Fish Forum . Net

Tropical Fish Forum . Net (http://www.tropicalfishforum.net/index.php)
-   Water Quality and Algae (http://www.tropicalfishforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Cycling (http://www.tropicalfishforum.net/showthread.php?t=1577)

fishlover

Cycling

Right now, I am cycling my 29-gallon tank. I do have six Black-Skirted Tetras in there. I have had this tank cycling since Feb. 24th, and I have yet to see any kind of a spike in ammonia or anything else. I check the water daily because of the fish in the tank. I started wondering about my test kit, so I bought another ammonia test kit; still the same. I did use about five gallons of water from my 20 gallon when I set the 29 up and also took the old filter out of the 20 gallon and put in the 29 gallon. Isn't it weird the tank isn't spiking at all? The fish look perfect. Fins spread and having a ball swimming around. I have been out of the "loop" with fish for quite a few years, so I must be missing something? I just thought the tank should spike at some point? :confused: Or am I just being duhhhhhh? :D :rolleyes: Thanks!

Dano

Re: Cycling

You may have gotten a bacteria colony started that is strong enough to keep up with the fish load you have. I would think that you could add a few fish and see what happens. Watch the ammonia levels. I have had many tanks that never had high spikes, unless I caused them by overloading things.

fishlover

That would be good if that happened. :) I guess I thought they spike no matter what. Thanks!

NewGuy

with my tank, I waited over a month before anything major happened, but when it did, it took another month for the thing to cycle. So i think it will still happin. I would wait another week or two before more fish. UNless you want to add gohst shrimp. They are cheep NH testers. The second they die you have a NH over 10.

Dano

Maybe my post was misleading!! I would still look for a spike, but you have to put enough of an ammonia source in there to produce a big spike. If you introduced bacteria with your old water and filter material then had a light fish load the bacteria grew enough to handle the ammonia they produced. Increasing the fish load gradually may not produce a big spike. Put in a lot of fish and feed heavy and you will certainly get a big spike.

My opinions are not the "gospel" and should be viewed only as alternate possibilities.

fishlover

So, maybe just add a fish or two or just leave it a bit yet as it is?

Bernie

I wouldn't worry too much & I go along with Dano. It has only been 3 wks & if you are not overfeeding & still doing regular p.w.changes you may not get much of a spike - you may be getting small spikes that drop down quickly because you used a seeded filter media. 6 little tetras wouldn't put too much strain on the bio-load.

Are you testing for nitrite & nitrate as well Nancy? How often are you doing p.w.changes?

I would just leave things as they are Nancy for a couple/few more weeks & keep checking the levels.

fishlover

Actually, I haven't done a pwc yet. I have just been checking the water every day and it is always perfect, even the pH. I do ammonia and nitrite testing. I don't have a nitrate kit, yet. The ammonia is 0 and the nitrite is 0.05. I have also been watching the fish constantly and they look very healthy. Now that it has been three weeks, I think I will do a pwc anyway. It is just that everything was so perfect, I hated to mess with it just yet. But, I think I will do one anyway, just in case.

Thanks for the info.! :)

Bernie

Actually if you normally do p.w.c.'s on a monthly basis & the levels are OK you don't need to do one yet if you think everything is fine.

It would be a good idea to get a nitrate test kit though just so you will be able to tell when the cycle has fully stabilised.

fishlover

I normally do pwc's every three to four weeks.

Thanks, Bernie! I will pick up a nitrate test kit. :)