Tropical Fish Forum . Net

Tropical Fish Forum . Net (http://www.tropicalfishforum.net/index.php)
-   Breeding (http://www.tropicalfishforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Eggs?? (http://www.tropicalfishforum.net/showthread.php?t=1962)

suppleupagus

Eggs??

I just noticed a small cluster of tiny, round whitish things on the leaf of one plant in the tank with Cardinal tetras & Albino Cories. There are about 3 or 4 on a lower leaf, but the main cluster has about 30 of them. The Betta swam right past them and they didnt move or fall off, are these eggs? If they are, should I try to move them? I dont have my Q tank available because Azul is in there, but I do have many plastic containers that I could make a nursery out of. Any suggestions? I have no idea who they belong to if they are eggs, and I am getting excited as this would be the first time Ive had egg layers actually lay eggs :D
Oh wow, I am sitting next to the tank, I looked over and now there are more of these little things on another leaf that wasnt there a few minutes ago..I guess I'd better watch the tank and get off the computer!

Neoblaze550

Re: Eggs??

When my cory's laid eggs I scraped them off and put them in a breeder net inside the main tank, that way the eggs would be oxygenated, and there would be water movement around the eggs (it will help them not get fungused).

If I were you I would remove the eggs it's only a matter of time before the other fish notice a free snack.:eek:

suppleupagus

Thanks Cole :) I don't have a breeders net so I put them in a fine mesh net and have that dangling in the corner until I go to the lfs tomorrow

It is definately eggs and they are from the Cories, I saw the female laying the eggs on some plants and then on the filter intake :confused: That doesnt seem like a very good place to lay eggs, lol :eek:

Bernie

Congratulations Cher :D that would be so exciting to actually she her laying the eggs....I would be glued to the tank with my magnifying glass LOL!

This link may help a bit....apparently quite normal for them to lay eggs anywhere, towards the bottom of the page has pics. of eggs on filter intake tube. http://aqualandpetsplus.com/Catfish,%20Corydoras.htm

suppleupagus

Thanks Bernie :) I am very excited and still reeling from seeing her actually laying eggs! I couldnt believe I was seeing what I was seeing :D
I checked out the link, great pics and info, thanks so much! I appreciate it!

suppleupagus

OMG you guys! This is unbelieveable ~ I am doing my water changes today and the small tank with the little angel and adolfi cory cat has eggs too! I just got them last week and there is only 1 cory in that tank, are these eggs sterile? Or do these guys hold the fertilized eggs inside for a while and lay them later? Unfortunately I did not see them until after I vac'd the gravel and was removing a few plants to rearrange, so I only have 4 , although I am searching for more . I also went to lfs and got 2 breeder nets, so I am putting them in one of those as well and then to top it off, they had a 29/37 stand that I was looking at a few weeks ago..it was $100, but today it was on clearance for $50 and I had a $20 gift card, so i bought it. I am so happy, it looks like maybe my luck is turning around!

Bernie

I could be wrong Cher, but with all egg-laying fish, the eggs are fertilised externally I believe (unlike livebearers which is internal), so the eggs will be unfertilised if no male is around, and if they don't get eaten they may have to be removed because they could develop fungus........Cole may be able to answer that better and is more knowledgeable since he has had experience with cory eggs.

BTW...great bargain!! :D

suppleupagus

That's what I thought too Bernie, but I was hoping for a miracle, LOL! Oh well, at least I know my Adolfoi is a girl ;)

Sharon

Your fish must be very happy, Cher.:)

suppleupagus

Thanks Sharon :D
The fish are happy and I am thrilled! Even if they don't hatch and I get nothing, I know I must be doing something right for them to do that and that makes me feel great! :)