Thread: Betta fin rot
View Single Post
Old ,

Default Re: Betta fin rot

I for one do not ever want to battle fin rot again. I had high hopes from the start of our battle that we could kick this disease by only doing frequent WC's, some salt, and a nice warm tank. My Betta fought this for 4 months. We tried salt, upped temp to 82 degrees, large water changes every other day to no avail for weeks. Maracycn baths coupled w/ Maracyn 2 in the tank. He had regrowth when antibiotics were stopped, added melafix to help with fin regrowth. A week later new fin rot. Tried the daily WC's, w/ salt for another month no healing. More antibiotics tetracycline for 4 days. No improvement. Break between meds. New antibiotics, Furan. Hydrogen peroxide treatment on the fins by weekly, sanitized equipment weekly. New fin growth. A week later more fin rot. This was brutal for both my Betta and I.

From reading I have done and my experience I have come to the conclusion that fin rot is Not only a dirty water ailment. I have come to believe that some how the Betta's immune system has been compromised. One thought is the Betta is not kept in decent ideal conditions after bred that has lead up to this. Over breeding could very well be part of the cause. Genetics may very well have a part in this as well. I have read countless cases of Betta's having fin rot after bought and cared for months w/ the recommended weekly WC's, 78% temp, alone in thier tank. Have our long finned friends always been prone to fin rot? IDK. If it were up to me all animal breeders would have to have a license and the appropriate conditions to breed what ever type of animal. Fish I feel are the number 1 most over bred and mistreated pet. I have had second thoughts to wanting fry as I can not tell you of one fish store near me that has steady good tank water conditions that I would want to sell fry to.

I have read countless times how fish are becoming more and more immune to treatments of antibiotics. Are breeders using antibiotics right from the start? Is it our area that makes the fish more prone or the supplier? My PH is at 8 which is the high side of ideal for a betta. Can the PH be fluctuating between tests? I should have Tested for a steady 2 weeks daily. I have also read from others that have owned fish store Betta's in other parts of the world that for many years and never have a problem w/ Bettas. IDK if we will ever get to the bottom of this ailment.

In conclusion I would have to say that the Betta's genentics, breeding conditions, living conditions before placed in a home, and current tank conditions play the biggest part in fin rot disease.
10g- ramshorn & pond snails,3 neon tetras, cherry shrimp
10g- QT tank-empty
2.5- QT tank- nerita,amano,anacharis
TTF Album
TPF Gallery