Polls  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > General Aquarium Care > Water Quality and Algae

Water Quality and Algae Questions and comments about water quality.

Old ,

Default Re: B-Style Tank Ideas ???Help Pls

Erm fish have been fine in ther till now...
woke up yday and the water is merky ,i thought it was bacterial bloom so i left the lights off and left it .woke up this morning and i could't see the back of the tank ,its almost a green colour ..moved the fish back into the q.tank for now as the plec i had kept tryin to jump out !
Old ,

Quote:
originally posted by Dano:
"If you are still with us: Please give the most recent ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and ph test results. What is the tank temp. and how many fish are in the tank? When was the last water change and how much? What and how often do you feed the fish? If the water is actually greenish: how strong is the light and how long is it on? Is the tank exposed to outside sunlight or strong interior lighting? What kind of filtration do you have and has it been changed recently?"

"Are the fish you moved stressed by the new environment? Is the q tank big enough to handle them until you resolve your problem?"
"Other than move the fish, what have you done to the tank or have you added any chemicals?"

"Try to answer as much as you can and get back to us as soon as possible. The only thing you can do with reasonable safety is to do 10% water changes every other day with water that has been treated with a good quality water conditioner."

Im not no flash rich snob that thinks he knows it all ,im a 18 yr old student tryin to learn the hobby.im asking for advice so that i can learn,e
  • Water temp on heater is set to 24degree
  • Q tank has been set up for about 6 weeks now,iv had some guppies in ther since the fish wer moved back into the main tank
  • have nine fish in total
  • i feed them when i wake up and before i go to sleep
  • I feed them the Tetra Food Flakes the expensive stuff
  • light is on from about 9 til 9
  • the tank is in a shaded area at the end of the room
  • i have a power head i think ,one that sits over the edge of the glass
  • As for the test kit ... im clue less about it and im not sure what to buy .ther guy at the lfs said i dnt need one .

Last edited by Bernie : at .
Old ,

Right iv woke up this moring and the water is now full on greeeen
btw the tanks has been 50% emptyed when i took the fish out so i could net them
Old ,

If there are no fish in the tank you have nothing to loose. Fill the tank. Keep the filter and or power head running. Turn off the tank light. Cover the tank so that it will be completely dark for at least a week.

While you are waiting for the tank to clear, research tank cycling. Get the dropper type test kits. Read the posts in the Water Quality and Algae sub forum. You will find much info there. When you are ready to put the fish back into your tank look carefully at what you are doing daily to see if you can find any causes for poor water quality and correct them. Be prepared to begin a water change and maintenance schedule.

Watch the fish you have in the q tank for stress, feed very sparingly. Use a good water conditioner and change 5% of the water every other day. Right now, keeping these fish in good condition should be your primary concern.
Old ,
ferret

a container of algea fix wont go a stray either.
Old ,
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano View Post
Ok, we start over. Being god like I can do these things....or at least until the administration kicks me arse!

Consider it kicked Please ease up Dano...virtually all of us have made similar mistakes when we started out. Good for you Jeffy in asking for advice!

Last edited by Bernie : at .
Old ,

Default Re: Water now green??

Algae removers usually add copper to the aquarium. Copper is not good for some fish and fatal to most invertabrates. It is difficult to totally remove from a tank. If it were me I would not use any algae removers.
Old ,
ferret

well ya learn something new every day. cheers.
Old ,

Hi
Haven't been on for a few days been busy round the house and skul work
I took Your advice and left the lights off ,the water had cleared now and i used my gravel clear to clean the gravel of the waste ,i filled it back up and now is running.iv been puttin fish flakes in there as there is not no fish.Im not sure if i need to cycle it again ...

Thanks For All The Advice People Are Giving Me Great Help
Old ,

Check the ammonia every few days for a while. I think you are gonna be ok as long as you dont over stock or over feed.