Forums  
  Discussion  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > Fish Polls > Freshwater Fish Polls

View Poll Results: Do you think angelfish and discus are compatible?
Yes 621 45.20%
No 419 30.49%
Sometimes 334 24.31%
Voters: 1374. You may not vote on this poll

Old ,

Default Angels and Discus?

Enter the ongoing debate as to whether angels and discus are compatible.

Last edited by Tim : at .
Old ,

Thumbs up Compatible? YES

I found them to be compatible. What I did was adding a small Angel. I wont say it was all peaches and cream. Actually I bought the Angel first and latter on the Discus. The first issue was that the Angel scared of the Discus, maybe because of the Angel being territorial. I took out the Angel for like 2 months and bought 2 more Discus. So when I bringed back the Angel,who was bigger, he found himself as new in a tank "owned" by Discus. The Angel was less aggressive. Actually the smaller Discus sometimes charges at the Angel and viceversa, but not harm themselves. Be aware that Angels are not shy and are aggressive eaters and Discus tend to be more pacific at the time of feeding, sometimes wanting to eat after the food reach the bottom. But apparently my Discus learned to be a little more active at feeding time. So a very shy Discus might have problems. If you want to try this SUPER NICE COMBINATION, I advice this:
  1. Have at least 3 Discus settled for 3 or more months
  2. Add only 1 Angel, as small as posible. Select the Angel as it was a Discus, because he will live long.
  3. If posible, select a female Angel, as they are less aggressive.
I also have seen them together in Pet Shops. Sometimes all the Discus stick together with the Angel in the middle, so they tend to enjoy their company.

Remember Angels will grow big and WILL EAT smaller fishes, like Neons, Guppies, and mine had even eat White Clouds and Rummy Nose! He grew around them, but their instinct will always arrive. It was a nice year before he ate them.

Rumors I heard about their INCOMPATIBILITY was that Angels have a natural flora inside them that doesn't harm them, but migth harm and kill Discus. No idea on this comment. Also had heard that if you add 2 Angels and they mate, they will turn very aggressive and might even kill Discus. Anyway I found that having only 1 Angel very nice.
Old ,

Default Re: Angels and Discus?

answer is no for me.why? there is presents risk of disease transmission between angle and discus fish
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sk%20pair%20050.jpg
Views:	554
Size:	12.7 KB
ID:	344  

Last edited by Administrator : at .
Old ,

Default Re: Angelfish and Discus

i would say yes because i have 2 angels with my 5 discus and they get on fine with each other. they do have the odd chase around the tank now and again but never been in fights.
i could just be one of the lucky ones but my tank is very big and well planted so there is plenty of room for them to have there own space and to get away. i also got them at a very young age and within a month so they have grown up togeter