Forums  
  Discussion  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > Freshwater Tropical Fish Discussion > Angelfish and Discus

Angelfish and Discus General questions and comments about angelfish and discus.

Old ,

Default got an angelfish and will be getting larger tank

Hello everyone,

I got a angelfish, I am looking to get a much larger tank soon and get it another angelfish to be companions with. I am looking at probably a 20-30 gallon tank. I have the money and will be doing it. I will be returning my entire tank set up to walmart and taking the money plus a little extra money to Petsmart to get the new tank. Because the ten gallon tank is through the first week of cycling I will use the water and everything for the other tank to speed the process up. Over all I think everything will be good.
Old ,

Default Re: got an angelfish and will be getting larger tank

Hi AquaParadise...I don't recommend getting the second Angel. Two will fight until one dies. Angels need to be kept alone, or in groups of five or more...

5 gal... Robin, (Betta)
5 gal...Pete, (Betta)
5 gal...Scotty(Betta)
10 gal...Female Betta Sororiety
10 gal... Neons, Glolights and Cardinals, 1 Oto
10 gal... Ram Pair
29 gal... Mbuna Tank
29 gal... Krib Pair, Tiger Barbs, Tetras, 2 Otos
55 gal...5 Australian Rainbows, 1 Angel Fish, 1 Blue Gourami, 6 Congo Tetras, 1 Leopard Ctenopoma, 1 Clown Pleco, 1 UpsideDown Catfish,5 Otos, 1 Bronze Cory, 2 Peppered Cories,2 Panda Cories
Old ,

thanks for letting me know Sharon I will now look for another tank mate instead of another angelfish. I am looking at possibly a silver dollar or some other semi aggressive fish. Plus I will be getting a new pleco because my pleco died. overall I am very happy with my new angel...he/she is black with silver markings. a beautiful fish and my buddy's father breeds angels so I will see if we can breed this one if it is a male because they just had their male die in the last month.
Old ,
Super Moderator

He/she sounds lovely I would love to have angelfish myself, but my tanks aren't big enough.

I may have this all wrong and misunderstood (please disregard the following if I do) and sorry for taking this a bit off topic, but alarm bells rang at some of the things you mentioned AquaParadise.

If you just lost your Oscar (as mentioned in another thread), now the pleco and they were in the 10 gallon tank that has only been cycling for a week...It is possible they may have died because of the water conditions. I would keep a close eye on your new angelfish (I'm sure you do anyway) and I wouldn't recommend buying any more fish until you have the 20 or 30 gallon set up and established.

This may be a silly question, but where will you be keeping the angelfish when you take back it's tank to swap for the larger one?
Old ,

Bernie,

you misunderstood, the oscars died nearly two years ago in the 65 gallon tank I used to have. The pleco died a few days ago in the 10 gallon. I have been through the first week and am now almost through the second week of cycling the tank. I used the material and water in the 10 gallon in the new 20 gallon and jumpstarted it. Now I have a slightly cloudy tank but it is clearing and I have a angelfish and new pleco that are seeing a huge difference in their enviorment. Believe it or not I am not as inexperienced as some might think out here.

Btw: I will be getting a few more supplies for the tank like a secondary filter, a cleaning hose, a nitrate reader, and maybe a net

Last edited by AquaParadise : at . Reason: more information
Old ,
Super Moderator

Thanks for clearing that up AquaParadise. I obviously have misunderstood most of your threads...The way I read things, was that you only had the 10 gallon tank and were still in the process of getting a 20-30 gallon tank...my mistake!

Also, I am sorry if my post sounded as if I was treating you as an inexperienced fishkeeper.
Old ,

Bernie,

I was not upset with you, I just want to achieve an beautiful aquatic enviorment that anyone who sees photos or comes to my home will admire. I thank everyone for their advice.

ps. Sharon, I found out today that two "male" angels will fight to the death, but a male and a female will not. It is however a gamble as it is hard to sex an angel when they are young.

2 convicts
1 pleco
Old ,

Its almost impossible to tell until they breed and pair up. I got lucky when I got 2 they were male and female and did pair up. But generally speaking angels dont interact well in low numbers as they are quite aggressive fish towards each other. Towards other fish tho I have found mine to be rather bossy at first but they soon settle in with them. Also if you do get a male and female there is no guarantee they will pair together. And if the one you get was paired with another one it is not certain that it pair up with another one again.