Forums  
  Discussion  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > Freshwater Tropical Fish Discussion > General Freshwater Chats

General Freshwater Chats General questions and comments.

Old ,

Default Need to move 30 gal tank

I have to move my tank. I am having a stand built just for it. Right now it is not in a very convenient place for water changes etc.

Should I keep most of the water that I take out to put back in once we move it. I think we are going to have to take a lot of water out in order to lift it. I know this will cause my fish stress. What is the best way and less stressful way to handle the move? Thanks for any advice.
________
no2 vaporizer

Last edited by sandygirl : at .
Old ,
Super Moderator

Default Re: Need to move 30 gal tank

You can keep all the water, particularly if you have only recently done a normal p.w.change.

Just before you are ready to make the move, I would remove half the tank water into a big esky type container, I would then remove any decor and place them in the same container, then net the fish and put them in there as well, remove most of the remaining water into the same esky or into another container if it won't hold all the water, but leave enough water in the tank to keep the gravel covered. If you have live plants, I would leave them in the tank with the gravel.

Once the tank is moved, do the same thing to put back into the tank. Don't forget to turn the heater off when removing the water (so easily forgotten). If you are worried that the water temp. will drop in the container, you can place the heater in there as well to keep it regulated.
Old ,

Thanks Bernie for the information
________
marijuana vaporizer

Old ,

I agree with Bernie... when we upgraded to a larger tank, we siphoned the water into those big plastic storage totes. You can get them at wal-mart or dollar store for like, $5 (American). If you use bottled water, you could just save the gallon or multi-gallon sizes and use those for the remaining water...
10 gallon assort guppies & platy
3 - 3 gallons 1 betta each
1 - 75 gallon - 2 raphael catfish, 1 melanistus cory, 5 trilineatus, 3 kuhlis, 10 diamond tetras, 5 albino danios, 7 panda cory
Old ,

Why not use your 30gal kitchen trash can with a fresh clean unsented trash bag in it.......................
Old ,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano View Post
Why not use your 30gal kitchen trash can with a fresh clean unsented trash bag in it.......................

Thanks Dano that is what I will use.
________
Honda Vamos specifications

Old ,

whenever i had to move my fish and tank
i would put the smaller fish in a cooler
and the bigger fish ,i would ask my lfs for any boxes they recieved from there previous fish order and use that
the boxes would have styrofoam in it and i would just use a trash bag as a liner
and i would keep the gravel wet and the plants would go in smaller cooler
so as to not get to much plant damage
Old ,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano View Post

Thats a good idea Dano... we only have a small trash can here at my house. If I had a big can, DH would let the trash pile up forever and then it would stink to high heaven!
10 gallon assort guppies & platy
3 - 3 gallons 1 betta each
1 - 75 gallon - 2 raphael catfish, 1 melanistus cory, 5 trilineatus, 3 kuhlis, 10 diamond tetras, 5 albino danios, 7 panda cory
Old ,

Good news everyone. I got the tank moved last weekend and everyone survived. My wonderful strong son was here to help me and we did it. I took all the decorations and rocks out of the tank and then we lowered the water until we could lift the tank, he did most of the lifting. We left the fish in the tank for the move. I thought it would be less stressfull for them. It was only my Beta and one large Molly that where in really shallow water for a short time. I syphoned the water back and everyone is doing great. And Bernie thanks I did remember to unplug the heater.

Now I don't have to climb on a step stool to clean them.

Thanks again everyone for all your help and advise. This is a great forum.
________
Chevrolet Beauville picture