Forums  
  Discussion  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > Freshwater Tropical Fish Discussion > General Freshwater Chats

General Freshwater Chats General questions and comments.

Old ,

Default Why can't Goldfishes be put with Tropical fishes?

I currently have 3 goldfish in a 10 gallon. 1 as a comet goldfish, its very beautiful, with long fins. I've had it for over 3 years and its still only 3 or 4 inches. The other 2 are common goldfish I think, 1 is about 3 inches, and 1 is about 2 inches. Other than that, they are very healthy and happy. I've had them for over 3 years now.

I'm going to get a 50 gallon long aquarium soon. I've decided on a planted tank.

Fishes will be : 10 Harlequin rasboras, 8 cardinal tetras, 1 britlenose pleco, and 3 oto catfish.

I'm thinking of putting my 3 goldfishes in the tank too. Since I think their growth has been stunted, they probably wont grow much anymore and stay at around 4 or 5 inches. Since they are so small, I don't see a risk that they will eat any of the tropical fishes, since their mouth is so small too. And actually I've had these with neon tetras before and it was fine.

Also, about the coldwater thing. I think they've adapted to warm water too because I've had them for over 3 years in a 10 gallon thats around 20- 25 degrees celsius and they are still healthy, maybe not very happy, but still healthy.

So if they really have adapted to the warm water and their growth really have stunted, will it be alright to add them to the 50 gallon? because now I don't see any problems.

Thank you.
Old ,

Default Re: Why can't Goldfishes be put with Tropical fishes?

Also would anyone know why my comet goldfish has a long body shape. I searched on google for comet goldfishes, and they are all fat and rounded. Mines is a long shape, like a shark's body shape. And with a long fork tail.
Old ,

Your three Goldfishes are probably staying small because of cramped conditions and poor nutrition...Also, not all Goldfish get real big....Goldfish are a dirtier fish than most tropicals and really don't do well at the temps that tropicals require...People do mix them and it seems that you have your mind made up........The problems that you don't see will come if you don't maintain good water quality with regular tank maintenance.

20 to 23*C for Goldfish............24 to 26*C for most tropicals.

Last edited by Dano : at .
Old ,

As Dano said it's difficult to maintain good water conditions considering the waste that Goldfish produce. I tend to keep my tropical and goldfish separate. I'm not so sure about the body type, you can check the galleries or fish facts on the site called "Fish Facts." Also i read here that if you keep your Goldfish in warm water they tend to have a shorter life. I'm not sure if this is true but that's what i've read. Good luck with your choice.
"Speak your mind, even if your voice shakes."
-Maggie Kuhn

Last edited by Tim : at .