Forums  
  Discussion  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > Freshwater Tropical Fish Discussion > General Freshwater Chats

General Freshwater Chats General questions and comments.

Old ,

Default Fish for 12 gallon eclipse

Well, our Loachie (hillstream loach) has gone to fish heaven. He'd been having 'suction' and body control issues for a few days; he still ate though. But he passed yesterday.

The tank has seven Rasboras, two Ramshorn snails and assorted pond snails (the population of which is routinely controlled by picking them out).

I'm not overrun with the pond snails, though I did add an extra couple sinking wafers in an attempt to help Loachie so I may be a more active picker shortly.

I'm wondering what to add; and wanted to toss out a couple possibilities:

- 1 Dwarf Gourami. Always liked these guys. When we were setting up the tank I was interested but heard from several forums, etc that there seemed to be an illness among them going around, so I avoided. Might be able to have two but I think that would be pushing the stocking level and I'd rather not do that. I've read they're skittish. Tank is in the living room and in a high traffic area (it's only the wife and I so it's not like Grand Central). It's not like we run up and go "boo" at the tank.

- 1 african dwarf frog. These critters look cool. They stay small, and shouldn't be bothered by the rasboras. The Rasboras also don't really eat off the substrate so the frog getting food shouldn't be a terrible issue. Don't know if there's room for two of them. Ph is naturally high, which I've read they like.

- 1 or 2 male guppies. Don't know about this one. Not sure how two males would get along. Definitely only males!!!!

Thoughts?

5 Gallon Hex:
Crowntail Betta
Old ,

Default Re: Fish for 12 gallon eclipse

*bump*

Testing, testing

Leaning towards an ADF at this point....

5 Gallon Hex:
Crowntail Betta
Old ,

Looks like we missed your post....I generally don't like recommending what fish people should put in their tanks...I'm better at what fish not to put in a tank............

The male and female Dwarf Gourami would do ok...Just make sure you get good clean looking fish....Two male Guppies should be ok....I won't recommend a frog..I'll leave that up to you and others....
Old ,

Well there's a long list of what not to put in a 12 gallon

I've done a lot of reading on ADF's the last few days; they seem pretty cool. Not the speediest to food so the chief concern with being with other fish is them getting food.

My rasboras never eat off the substrate though, so with sinking pellets I should be okay.

I've never had a frog before so I'm doing a lot of reading; I learned from my dwarf puffer mistake (LFS:"Sure, they're fine for a community tank....")

5 Gallon Hex:
Crowntail Betta
Old ,

Well, we had decided on an ADF for the tank. Our local shop where we had gotten the betta didn't have any; said they were out of season but should be in soon.

I swore that I had seen some at the Petsmart near where I work, so we went to the one more local to home. Sure enough, they had them. Lots of them.

Now I know why.

There's a regulation in NJ that certain species require a permit to own, due to the fact that if released they could create an imbalance in the ecology. African CLAWED Frogs are on the list; but African DWARF frogs aren't; they aren't on the 'exceptions' list either. So apparently Petsmart's lawyers felt they were going to go the permit route with ADFs. Now, this is a tropical frog - they're not going to become a pest in NJ since we get freezing temps in NJ.

Still, a permit is needed according to Petsmart. They're $10. A year. For a $3 frog. And since I live in NJ and know how NJ works, simply saying the frog died when the frog died isn't going to get me out of the need for a permit for a dead frog; I'd probably have to take the body to a vet or something to authenticate the frog is dead. Maybe I could mail it to the appropriate agency

I'm going to check with my local store and see what they say; I'm near the PA border so if needed I'll just go next door and get one there.

Wacky state I live in.

5 Gallon Hex:
Crowntail Betta
Old ,

Go to the NJ Wildlife and Natural Resources Department web site...They should have the lists of restricted animals....You can also contact them with your questions on the frogs.http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/

Last edited by Dano : at .
Old ,

Yup, I did, and did (went to the site and emailed them). ACF's are on the list requiring permits; ADFs are not on any of the lists (which of course means they're not explcitly excluded, thus the lawyers surely decided to err on the side of caution).

Firebelly toads are also on the list requiring a permit. The ones at Petsmart did not have the sticker. I asked if the toad required a permit. They said no; I said that doesn't seem to make any sense, why would a frog require a permit and a toad wouldn't?

The answer?

Wait for it....

Because there's no sticker!

I haven't heard back from the state. I know the frogs can carry a fungus that affects amphibians. ACFs carry it too; but from what I've read ACFs are just carriers - they're not affected themselves. ADFs are killed by the fungus. So, that may be the bottom line here. It'll be interesting if I hear back from the state.

5 Gallon Hex:
Crowntail Betta