Forums  
  Discussion  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > Fish Polls > Freshwater Fish Polls

View Poll Results: Would you rather decorate your own tank with your own decore or rather store bought
Make your own decore 28 57.14%
Buy your own decore 26 53.06%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old ,

Default Re: Would you rather decorate your own tank with your own decore or rather store bought

MEK, Acetone, and MIBK will dissolve most model plastics. These are best used for gluing acrylic and plexiglass. Super glue or plain old model glue will work for what you have in mind. Even an epoxy would be good. The big issue is allowing it to cure and no aroma is present before putting it in the tank.
Old ,

Default Re: Would you rather decorate your own tank with your own decore or rather store bought

True.... MEK, Tenax is more reserve for advance model builder ..... Tenax, is methylene chloride. They call them plastic welder, so they melt the plastic and fuse it together instead of gluing it , it's true if not use properly they will ruin the model. They have to be use in very small quantity, very helpful when you want to bond ABS to Styrene plastic. But what I’m more worry is the health hazard those product can cause. Testor liquid can do, but not the one in gel in a tube, even after few week it’s still smell, so something is still evaporating.. One to considerate for styrene plastic (like probably this ship kit) is Weldene from plastruct, it’s a non-toxic formula.

Good thing is , MEK is not easy to find in store.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano View Post
MEK, Acetone, and MIBK will dissolve most model plastics. .
Old ,

Most hardware stores carry MEK and Acetone. Many glues use MEK and Acetone as the aromatic base that evaporates allowing the glue to set. Raw MEK, Acetone, and MIBK are often used a degreasers.
Old ,

Dano, I see you live in US, I will check for it here , but I'm pretty sure I never see MEK in hardware store here in Canada, at least in the province of Quebec. I have to provide it to many model railroader friend since they can't find it and I have access to it. Just as example, you can't find antibiotic in Pet Shop here in Quebec, the law prohibit it, ( the vet association have long arms ) so aquarist have to order it from Big Al in Ontario by mail……. But I guess it became a little bit off subject....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano View Post
Most hardware stores carry MEK and Acetone. Many glues use MEK and Acetone as the aromatic base that evaporates allowing the glue to set. Raw MEK, Acetone, and MIBK are often used a degreasers.
Old ,

I was employed in the aerospace industry for 33 years where the "ketones" were used extensively in many processes along with many other exotic chemicals. Before MSDSs came out we were exposed to the harmful aspects of them without knowledge of the hazards. As time progressed many of these substances were deemed unsafe for public exposure and banned from easy access. I have not checked recently, so those chemicals may no longer be available over the counter. You brought up a good point about how or where one can obtain "ketones".
Old ,

I just think if Ilived in the tank with them how Iwould like it to be,natural looking but bought expensive ones mixed with natural materials, to create a balance, all depends on the type of fish you have too.