Polls  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > Freshwater Tropical Fish Discussion > Catfish, Plecos and Loaches

Catfish, Plecos and Loaches Questions and comments about catfish, plecos and loaches.

Old ,

Default Re: otto catfish

I'v never had any problems with the ottos I've had other than they liked to explore the floor around the tanks at night. Every now and then, one would wander too far and dry up before it could get back into the tank.
Old ,

Still have four
90 Gallon...7 Tiger , 11 Green and 4 Albino Barbs, a Rainbow Shark and flying foxes
Old ,

Lost one, ... but I've done some reading, and I think the problem is that they're being sold here, at a size too small to survive. I think that may be the problem with the Corys as well. They under an inch long, and it seems there's a low survival rate at that size...

5 gal... Robin, (Betta)
5 gal...Pete, (Betta)
5 gal...Scotty(Betta)
10 gal...Female Betta Sororiety
10 gal... Neons, Glolights and Cardinals, 1 Oto
10 gal... Ram Pair
29 gal... Mbuna Tank
29 gal... Krib Pair, Tiger Barbs, Tetras, 2 Otos
55 gal...5 Australian Rainbows, 1 Angel Fish, 1 Blue Gourami, 6 Congo Tetras, 1 Leopard Ctenopoma, 1 Clown Pleco, 1 UpsideDown Catfish,5 Otos, 1 Bronze Cory, 2 Peppered Cories,2 Panda Cories
Old ,
Super Moderator

I'm so sorry you lost one Sharon! you have had them for awhile haven't you?

I still have my two - they were only approx. 3/4" when I bought them & thankfully they are doing well. One seems to try & latch on to my emerald eye rasbora's though, apparently some otto's prefer the slime coating of fish.

If you can see a well defined stomach on the otto's at the lfs, they are the ones to buy & acclimitize them 3 times longer than normal before adding to the tank - but of course it is still hit & miss with these delicate fish as we all know.
Old ,

Hi Bernie...I bought two Ottos six days ago, and the dead one seems to be one of those. I now have two in the 55 gal.... I don't know if I will try for the third....

5 gal... Robin, (Betta)
5 gal...Pete, (Betta)
5 gal...Scotty(Betta)
10 gal...Female Betta Sororiety
10 gal... Neons, Glolights and Cardinals, 1 Oto
10 gal... Ram Pair
29 gal... Mbuna Tank
29 gal... Krib Pair, Tiger Barbs, Tetras, 2 Otos
55 gal...5 Australian Rainbows, 1 Angel Fish, 1 Blue Gourami, 6 Congo Tetras, 1 Leopard Ctenopoma, 1 Clown Pleco, 1 UpsideDown Catfish,5 Otos, 1 Bronze Cory, 2 Peppered Cories,2 Panda Cories
Old ,

I never was big into the sucker fish, but as soon as i seen an otto, lol i wanted one! I really like how small they are, and stay. A frend of mine bought one of those other suckers from the shop and he was about three inches, he is over a foot in a 20gallon tank now. I'm sure that that is not good, but he does not have the money to buy a huge tank, and none of the petships will buy him bak for even $10 or store credit. They all say he is too big. LOL now that i have gone off on a tangent, i will get to my question. I just set up a 20g, same as his, and i have 1 dwarf gourami and 2 barbs and 4 ghost shrimp, i plan to get three more barbs and possably a female gourami. Will the baby otto be too small and be food for the other bigger fish, or will he be left alone. Also, i think i only want one, I have no algee problem, but i dont want him to get lonely.
Old ,

otos are ok by them selfs i bought 3 and one lived he is doing fine. he plays around with my plecio now .

josh

"The road to success is dotted with many tempting parking spaces."