Forums  
  Discussion  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > Saltwater Tropical Fish Discussion > Snorkeling, Scuba and Public Aquariums

Snorkeling, Scuba and Public Aquariums Share your experiences from snorkeling, scuba and visits to public aquariums.

Old ,

Default Snorkeling at Kailua-Kona, Hawaii

My first stop everyday of my one week stay in Kona was a trip to Lava Java for a Kona Coffee decaf. Kona coffee is amazingly even better than Tim Horton's. On this particular day, I'd decided to see what the snorkeling is like in the small bay beside the pier where the cruise ships dock. Norwegian Cruise Line's Pride of America was in the harbor tendering passengers to shore. Although the cruise ships call this Kona, you'll need to use Kailua-Kona to start finding this on maps and the internet. The small beach along the northern side of the pier is a great spot with sandy beach, washrooms and showers. There are also snorkel rentals and everything else you need, like macadamia nut chocolates, at the ABC store across the street. Although the water in this sheltered bay is a little murky, it's a great spot to view tropical fish. There was a large school of yellow tangs, bird wrasses, puffers, orange spot tangs, even a long nosed butterfly and lots of gold ring tangs. This is an excellent spot to head to off of a cruise ship - a great beach, good snorkeling and no cost at all f you happen to bring your own swim mask. After Kailua-Kona pier snorkel, we headed back to my favorite spot at Kahalu'u Bay and went snorkeling two more times that same afternoon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HawaiiKailua2.jpg
Views:	1363
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	2109  Click image for larger version

Name:	HawaiiKailua1.jpg
Views:	1374
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	2110  Click image for larger version

Name:	HawaiiKailuaLong.jpg
Views:	1353