Polls  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > Freshwater Tropical Fish Discussion > Topics for Debate

Topics for Debate Give your opinions on topics that are hotly debated, such as glofish and conditions for bettas

Old ,

Red face Re: Monster Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by sesquipedalianis View Post
ill agree not all pitbulls or big dogs are an ego boost, as is not all large fish. but when you drive around and see all these large dogs on chains, being kept chained to a tree, or bred to fight..this animals arent loved as your grandmothers was.i hardly ever, see the poodle, cocker, yorkie, or terriers tied out..as owning a large fish, a large dog also requires special attention and care, and the majority of people cant or dont wanna care for them as they should properly be..if they did, our shelters wouldnt be full of them, or they wouldnt be confiscated from thier owners, granted they arent the only type of dogs there, but the majority of the aggressive breeds are more likely to be put down then adopted...there is ALWAYS an exception to every rule..whether its large fish , dogs etc.
Yes , unfortunately there are alot of idiots out there. But with more understanding and compassion for the breed its entirely possible to make it the rule and not the exception. These dogs can be loyal loving pets. Now I want to apologize to everyone for ranting about pitbulls on a fish website
Old ,

Default Re: Monster Fish

oh rant away, i am #1 for getting off topic here, which im sure you will see...

any animal can be loving with the proper attention, care and love..unfortuneatly, not everyone wants to invest in the time and work...and even in some cases with thier kidsi work in a school and see it way to often sorry if i struck a sore spot, didnt mean to

does anyone here have a monster fish?i one day want a hammerhead shark..but i dont think itll happen unless i get a job at seaworld or the new orleans aquarium...but..a girl can dream cant she
Old ,

Talking Re: Monster Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by sesquipedalianis View Post
oh rant away, i am #1 for getting off topic here, which im sure you will see...

any animal can be loving with the proper attention, care and love..unfortuneatly, not everyone wants to invest in the time and work...and even in some cases with thier kidsi work in a school and see it way to often sorry if i struck a sore spot, didnt mean to

No worries , maam. Good post! Most of my friends drop there kids off at daycare on their off-days because they have to "pay for all week anyway" And I dont know if it counts as a monster fish but ive always been interested in the giant fire eels I see at the upscale local fish store.
Old ,

You probably wouldn't call 6 inches a giant fish but my tiny gsp's will grow to that size within 2 years (hopefully). 6 inches is huge to me. Compare that to your hand and picture your hand doing tank work along side of 6 inches of predatory fish. I read the puffer forum all the time trying to learn all I can about these fish. From what I have read most do not realize when they by that small baby puffer fish that it can grow up to a few feet (some varieties) or in a gsp's case which are sold from many wal marts that they require 30g per fish, brackish to marine water conditions as they grow and are in no way a community fish.

I think a care sheet should be given with every fish purchase. Petsmart has them in the fish section, off to the side but I have never had a sales clerk offer one to me with a live aquatic purchase or seen them offered to anyone.
10g- ramshorn & pond snails,3 neon tetras, cherry shrimp
10g- QT tank-empty
2.5- QT tank- nerita,amano,anacharis
TTF Album
TPF Gallery
Old ,

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormySkiez View Post
. Petsmart has them in the fish section, off to the side but I have never had a sales clerk offer one to me with a live aquatic purchase or seen them offered to anyone.
I was browsing through those yesterday at the local petsmart and the employees were looking at me like I was crazy.
Old ,

Exclamation Re: Monster Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret View Post
so does a larger fish earn the right to live in the wild and a smaller fish earn the misfortune of being condemed to a glass box just because of their size?

all fish whether they be a tiny guppy or a or a giant potato cod, should be kept in the kind of environment they deserve.

sorry I had a bad day at work

keeping small fish in tanks isnt always bad. cherry barbs are endangered in the wild but prolific in the aquarium hobby.
5 gallon= Green Terror
3 gallon= will be guppies