Polls  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > Freshwater Tropical Fish Discussion > Topics for Debate

Topics for Debate Give your opinions on topics that are hotly debated, such as glofish and conditions for bettas

Old ,

Default Are Betta Bubble Nests Really a Sign of Contentment?

I'm beginning to think that we don't truly understand why the Betta builds a bubble nest. I was at the fish store, looking at the Bettas in cups. The cups are very small, as everyone knows, and these were in desperate need of a water change The water was quite dirty, and when the cup was moved, the uneaten food started swirling around. Absolutely gross looking!!! Well, two bettas in these cups, had built large bubble nests. Surely, they weren't content and in the mood to breed????

5 gal... Robin, (Betta)
5 gal...Pete, (Betta)
5 gal...Scotty(Betta)
10 gal...Female Betta Sororiety
10 gal... Neons, Glolights and Cardinals, 1 Oto
10 gal... Ram Pair
29 gal... Mbuna Tank
29 gal... Krib Pair, Tiger Barbs, Tetras, 2 Otos
55 gal...5 Australian Rainbows, 1 Angel Fish, 1 Blue Gourami, 6 Congo Tetras, 1 Leopard Ctenopoma, 1 Clown Pleco, 1 UpsideDown Catfish,5 Otos, 1 Bronze Cory, 2 Peppered Cories,2 Panda Cories
Old ,

Default Re: Are Betta Bubble Nests Really a Sign of Contentment?

That is a good question! Could it possibly be because they are oxygen starved and the bubbles come from their gasping at the surface?
Old ,

I don't know, but they're always at the bottom, in these cups. They're not oxygen starved in our tanks...yet they still make bubble nests....maybe it's instinct, and we assume they're happy in the environment that we've given them.

5 gal... Robin, (Betta)
5 gal...Pete, (Betta)
5 gal...Scotty(Betta)
10 gal... Ram Pair
29 gal... Mbuna Tank
55 gal...5 Australian Rainbows, 1 Angel Fish, 1 Blue Gourami, 6 Congo Tetras, 1 Leopard Ctenopoma, 1 Clown Pleco, 1 UpsideDown Catfish,5 Otos, 1 Bronze Cory, 2 Peppered Cories,2 Panda Cories
Old ,

I think you are right Sharon. It is instinct. My boy blows bubble nests and has plenty of oxygen. He has an airstone.
10g- ramshorn & pond snails,3 neon tetras, cherry shrimp
10g- QT tank-empty
2.5- QT tank- nerita,amano,anacharis
TTF Album
TPF Gallery

Last edited by StormySkiez : at .
Old ,
Super Moderator

OK! I know I said I wasn't posting anymore...but I couldn't help myself as I found this and thought it was interesting.

http://www.bettatalk.com/answer81.htm

Bye now!
Old ,

That's an interesting article, Bernie! Thanks! Sometimes I think we "assume" that we know our fish well....

5 gal... Robin, (Betta)
5 gal...Pete, (Betta)
5 gal...Scotty(Betta)
10 gal... Ram Pair
29 gal... Mbuna Tank
Old ,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie View Post
OK! I know I said I wasn't posting anymore...but I couldn't help myself

Huh????? Noooooo, Bernie you are missed when not around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie View Post
as I found this and thought it was interesting.

http://www.bettatalk.com/answer81.htm

Quote:
a sick betta will not be active. He may not eat. He will hang at the surface with clamped fins, not move around much at all. The easiest way to tell a sick betta blowing bubbles apart from a healthy betta blowing a nest is by observing the bubbles themselves. If they are spare and scattered here and there (as in, one here and one there) and if they are large, they usually are sick betta bubbles. If they are smaller, in a large cluster, especially in a corner or under a leave, then they are a nest and they are happy betta bubbles.

Ok my betta is a wierdo (I love my wierdo) and ill (fin rot still) and he dose not know how to act. He is ill but very active, eating well and blowing bubbles. Months of this behavior while being ill. He blows small bubble nests about once to twice weekly right now. He blows huge bubble nests once every few weeks. Once he kept a huge bubble nest up even between frequent water changes for about 2 weeks.

How often do healthy bettas blow bubble nests and what size bubble nests do they blow?
10g- QT tank-empty
TTF Album
TPF Gallery
Old ,

God bess him ....they sure can surprise us. Toby,(RIP) when he had a swim bladder disorder, couldn't swim, so I put him in a bowl, to make his life easier. The little twit made bubble nests daily!!! I tried to explain to him that he was in no shape to handle a female......

5 gal... Robin, (Betta)
5 gal...Pete, (Betta)
5 gal...Scotty(Betta)
10 gal... Ram Pair
29 gal... Mbuna Tank
Old ,
Super Moderator

Here are a couple more interesting articles:

http://www.nippyfish.net/bubblenests.html

http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art34674.asp

It is hard to know what to believe sometimes with all the info. now available on the net and there may be just as many opinions out there as there are fish, but they can give us food for thought. As mentioned in the articles re: How often they build nests...each fish is different! As with any pet, I think it comes down to getting to know your fish's individual behaviour/mannerisms...what is normal for one may not be for the other, each one may react/behave differently and we shouldn't assume that everything we read necessarily applies to all....Your little betta has shown that I think Stormy! Sorry to hear he is still sick.

The previous article said that the size of the bubbles were smaller to those of the sick bettas bubbles...but I really do not know what size they actually should be.

Quote:

God bess him ....they sure can surprise us. Toby,(RIP) when he had a swim bladder disorder, couldn't swim, so I put him in a bowl, to make his life easier. The little twit made bubble nests daily!!! I tried to explain to him that he was in no shape to handle a female......

Yes! God Bless little Toby ...nesting right to the end...natural instinct is a very powerful thing!

Last edited by Bernie : at .
Old ,

Thanks you all. I'm very sad to say if he doesnt respond well (he's 2 weeks into the treatment) to Faiths peroxcide treatment coupled with the antibiotics, weekly sterilized tank I will have him put to rest the end of sept because I cant watch this eat him away.

Those are very good articles Bernie. Bettas are amazing creatures. I would find it amazing to watch the breeding process of the bettas. To bad I probably never will. Perhaps one of these days I will look for a utube or video that shows this.

Out of all my fish/pets my betta has touched my heart more then any other pet. I have shed to many tears over him. I need to get a grip.
10g- QT tank-empty
TTF Album
TPF Gallery