Polls  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > Freshwater Tropical Fish Discussion > Topics for Debate

Topics for Debate Give your opinions on topics that are hotly debated, such as glofish and conditions for bettas

Old ,
ferret

Default Re: Monster Fish

some buy huge fish so they can feed the bodies of their victims to after a murderouse rampage on the town.....

or is that just m.....

ooh I've said too much
Old ,

I never thought of that, mate. When ever I went on rampages, I left the bodys for the buzzards.
Old ,

does that also work on teen daughters who hide and sneak and get boyfriends mom doesnt like? cuz im about to lock mine in a convent, or does anyone have suggestions on how to torture a kid and not leave any marks..

on topic..ita cole, about getting them as ego trippers..but that goes for other animals too.. look at the owners of pit bulls and other large breeds.i personally have no desire for a monster fish,i have been there, done that. i do want a teacup stingray though.. untill tanks are big enough to house a hammerhead shark ,ill stick with the small fishes
Old ,

Well my LFS has this HUGE fish in this 75 gallon tank with another HUGE fish. I'm not joking about the huge thing. They can barely move and its really sad. It's also giving the customers a bad vibe on "Oh! Look Mommy i want that really big fish." And then the un-informed mother goes, "But sweety we can only buy a 2 gallon bowl." Then the daugther says, pointing to a little betta cup, "Okay then, lets get that one!!" That's my story.

The LFS people are a supply and demand store, and they are only selling people fish or a pet or whatever they are selling to get the most money. Doesn't matter if it is a pleco, or any other fish that ends up being very large. After those people buy the fish, the LFS took the responsiblity off their chest and handed it over to the consumers. It is only very rare and not common to have a well-informed LFS employee or a good working manager at the store telling you what to buy and what's best for you (in reality rather than in supply and demand terms). That's my opinion.
"Speak your mind, even if your voice shakes."
-Maggie Kuhn
Old ,

you know what really makes me mad..
all these nail salons that have these huge fish in tanks that are too small, with just a tank, sand and maybe a filter. to me a fish( or any pet) isnt to just survive. a pet of any kind should be taken care of to thrive to be the best it can be. i feel if you cant provide it with the best, as you would your self then you dont need it.
but in these nail salon its the fung shway???and fish bring good luck..next time you pass one up, pop your head inside, im sure they have a tank with a huge flowerhorn, pacu or something of that nature. ok im done
Old ,

Quote:
Originally Posted by sesquipedalianis View Post
on topic..ita cole, about getting them as ego trippers..but that goes for other animals too.. look at the owners of pit bulls and other large breeds.
So people that own american pitbull terriers have them for an ego-boost?Thats a pretty broad statement.My grandmother had a pit bull named lovely that I hardly dout she owned to feed her ego.More like she lived in a horrible part of town and needed a companion that would and could protect her from knuckleheads trying to turn her into a victim. Im sure the thought of a cocker spaniel standing by watching as she was getting mauled was enough reason to go with a tough but loving dog.She also had cats that pit bull cherished.There are situations where a poodle might not be the right choice for you
Old ,

I checked with the lfs and a couple fish/pet stores within an hour of me (no not the big chains like petsmart or petco), and they will take the plecostomus that get too big for your tank and trade you a small pleco or catfish. They, the lfs, will then sell the large 'monster' pleco to someone with a tank apropriate for its size.

Dave
Old ,

Thats true but poodles and cocker spanials hardly ever escape and maul people.

I'm not saying all pit's are mean, but when most people think of pit's, they think of the breeds fighting capability.

I'ts sad that they have the reputation but as long as people like Michael Vick are still around it's probably going to continue

BTW: Welcome to the forum your tanks seem cool
10 gallon: Krib fry!!!
8 gallon: 1 Male betta
Neoblaze (Aka Cole )
Old ,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neoblaze550 View Post
Thats true but poodles and cocker spanials hardly ever escape and maul people.

I'm not saying all pit's are mean, but when most people think of pit's, they think of the breeds fighting capability.

I'ts sad that they have the reputation but as long as people like Michael Vick are still around it's probably going to continue

BTW: Welcome to the forum your tanks seem cool
Thanks and your right. Not all people that own pits own them for legitimate reasons.The dog was bred to fight there is no arguing that but its not a monster. The dog was bred to fight other dogs not people. But there are many reasons for owning these dogs. They make wonderful hiking companions for people in areas with wild animals large enough to harm you(bears, mountain lions). There are other dogs with a higher attack rate on humans but because of the pits capabilities it usually does result in a "mauling". I guess what I was trying to say is that there are real reasons to keep these dogs where as owning a 3 foot predator fish in a two bedroom house is mainly all for show and ego boost. Its not a good comparison.
Old ,

ill agree not all pitbulls or big dogs are an ego boost, as is not all large fish. but when you drive around and see all these large dogs on chains, being kept chained to a tree, or bred to fight..this animals arent loved as your grandmothers was.i hardly ever, see the poodle, cocker, yorkie, or terriers tied out..as owning a large fish, a large dog also requires special attention and care, and the majority of people cant or dont wanna care for them as they should properly be..if they did, our shelters wouldnt be full of them, or they wouldnt be confiscated from thier owners, granted they arent the only type of dogs there, but the majority of the aggressive breeds are more likely to be put down then adopted...there is ALWAYS an exception to every rule..whether its large fish , dogs etc.