Polls  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > Saltwater Tropical Fish Discussion > Snorkeling, Scuba and Public Aquariums

Snorkeling, Scuba and Public Aquariums Share your experiences from snorkeling, scuba and visits to public aquariums.

Old ,

Default Snorkeling at Kealakekua Bay

Kona, on the big island called Hawaii, was more than an adventure. My wife and I went on the Captain Zodiac snorkel tour to Kealakekua Bay. The ride turned out to be 45 minutes each way at a rapid rate of speed with everyone holding on tight as we flew through the air over the waves while spray drenched us to the bone. Your hands got tired holding on and the people in front of you kept sliding backward and crushing those behind them. If the zodiac stopped, it bobbed up and down and made you sea sick.

Kealakekua Bay has a monument which is sovereign British land in the middle of the State of Hawaii. It commemorates the battle that Captain Cook?s crew got in to with the natives in 1779. In the fight, Captain Cook was beaten to death.

The snorkeling at Kealakekua Bay was phenomenal and worth the trip there, but just barely. The coral is in excellent condition, there are lots of fish and you could see down nearly 100 feet. The coral drops off quickly over the space of about 25 feet to a depth of much more than 100 feet. It is very eerie to go from the beautiful coral setting to the deep blue unknown within such a short distance. The way back was more tiring, wetter and a bigger mental challenge than the way there, so I doubt that I'll ever go in a zodiac in the open ocean again.

It was interesting to see that fish are very active among live coral. They twist in all different directions to eat. You can see this in the yellow tang shot, as they are all over the place. The distant shot also highlights this, as there is a moorish idol in the middle of the picture and he's totally flat instead of upright. Nothing wrong with him though, he's just having lunch. The parrot fish, last pic, was taking big bites out of the coral with his powerful parrot like mouth.

That tang with the blue tail, to the left of the yellow tang, is on my long list of fish to identify. There's another one in the Hanauma Bay pic too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kona1.jpg
Views:	482
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	1108  Click image for larger version

Name:	Kona4.jpg
Views:	500
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	1109  Click image for larger version

Name:	Kona3.jpg
Views:	475