Forums  
  Discussion  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > Freshwater Tropical Fish Discussion > Aquarium Tank Setup Ideas

Aquarium Tank Setup Ideas Pictures of our tanks to give ideas to everyone.

Old ,

Default NEW tank

OK guys. I am getting either a 55 gallon or a 75 gallon tank with stand & hood. This weekend.

I reviewed the large tanks sticky in this section, and I think I'd like to go with a design similar to syno-kev 'spicture though probably not as many rocks stacked as high.
I love pots in my tanks, so I might spring for a small strawbery pot and some pretty terra cotta ones along with some large driftwood pieces.

These are my current critters which will be rehomed to the new tank once it is cycled:

3 clown loaches
5 cories
5 kuhlis
2 ottos
(yes, I love the little bottom feeders hence, why I like syno-kev's design... it would give these guys plenty of places to hide)

I have plenty of tall plants to transfer and am thinking of putting something on the bottom for ground cover that is low light... I have some christmas moss that seems to be doing well. I also have a very large amazon sword - I do think it is at its max size as it dominates the tank at about 50 cm high. Not sure if want to put that in or leave it where it is in the other tank.

So now I'm looking for some peaceful community fish. Was thinking of tiger barbs but I'm leaning more toward harlequin rasboras and cardinal or neon tetras. I was thinking of maybe 7-8 Harlequins if I get the 55 gallon or if I get the 75 gallon, getting 7-8 Harlequins and maybe 6 neons.

I'm open to other suggestions for fish aside from the harlequins and tetras. Maybe it would be better to go with one or two larger fish? I like the schooling action of little fish, but I could get some pretty gouramis and put them in there.

Any suggestions for nice schooling fish that won't drive me batty with malicious maladjusted social behaviors?
10 gallon assort guppies & platy
3 - 3 gallons 1 betta each
1 - 75 gallon - 2 raphael catfish, 1 melanistus cory, 5 trilineatus, 3 kuhlis, 10 diamond tetras, 5 albino danios, 7 panda cory
Old ,

Default Re: NEW tank

im one of my 55 gallons i have 8 serpae tetra and they school together pretty..my husband says they look like lil indians patroling.. they are cute.. a few gourmais are nice also.. i have6 in my tank they they are fun to watch each type does different things i have one that likes to herd her other 2 of her type,( the blue gouramis)1 that doesnt care and swims where he wants (red dwarf) and 2 that do what i call jousting with the lil feelers with anyone that comes near(lavender)..the 4 danios stay very busy... i call them my lil adhd fish... 5 my neon tetras have paired off(wierd i know) so i dont see much other them in schools,unless i do a water change out.

i have 4 corys, and 2 skunk loaches/skunk botia( heard them called by both names) and the only thing that messes with the bottom feeders is my red tail shark.he HATES the skunks and its his lifes mission to hunt them out and disturb them.

tiger barbs are pretty and i love them, but have had no luck with them.. i got some for mtohers day and put them with my parrots and , well i have nomore. i dont wanna blame anyone, but i dont think my girls cared for the company.
Old ,

Congratulations on the new tank, GS!!! That's going to be fun!!! I love the idea of Harlequins and Cardinals. Both will school nicely! Tiger Barbs are pretty, but can be quite nasty...IMO, they do better in a species only tank.

5 gal... Robin, (Betta)
5 gal...Pete, (Betta)
5 gal...Scotty(Betta)
10 gal...Female Betta Sororiety
10 gal... Neons, Glolights and Cardinals, 1 Oto
10 gal... Ram Pair
29 gal... Mbuna Tank
29 gal... Krib Pair, Tiger Barbs, Tetras, 2 Otos
55 gal...5 Australian Rainbows, 1 Angel Fish, 1 Blue Gourami, 6 Congo Tetras, 1 Leopard Ctenopoma, 1 Clown Pleco, 1 UpsideDown Catfish,5 Otos, 1 Bronze Cory, 2 Peppered Cories,2 Panda Cories
Old ,

Congo tetras are an awesome alternative. I have neons with Rummynose. Also if you can get Threadfin Rainbows that would be exotic and fair priced ($1-2 each). Celebes rainbows are nice too but expensive IMO. I would stay away from the bigger rainbows. I agree with the option of the Serpae. They look awesome together!!!! Hope this helps

"It's better being happy than being right"
Old ,

Lucky

I think you should get:
  • 7-8 Harlequins
  • 5-6 Neons
  • 4 Threadfin Rainbows
  • 3 gouramis of your choice
  • maybe some more corys
10 gallon: Krib fry!!!
8 gallon: 1 Male betta