Forums  
  Discussion  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > Freshwater Tropical Fish Discussion > Aquarium Tank Setup Ideas

Aquarium Tank Setup Ideas Pictures of our tanks to give ideas to everyone.

Old ,

Default Re: quick question???

Dwarf cichlids are indeed your best bet in a 30 gal. I have Mbuna in a 29 gal. I did this in my ignorance, when I first starting keeping fish. I will have to upgrade soon, or get rid of them. I have mostly Yellow Labs now, as I have rehomed the more aggressive ones, and that does seem to be working out. I have read that the Labs can be kept in a tank of this size, but if I were doing it again, I would not. I find that after giving them the rock work that they need, there is not a lot of swimming room in a tank of this size.....

5 gal... Robin, (Betta)
5 gal...Pete, (Betta)
5 gal...Scotty(Betta)
10 gal...Female Betta Sororiety
10 gal... Neons, Glolights and Cardinals, 1 Oto
10 gal... Ram Pair
29 gal... Mbuna Tank
29 gal... Krib Pair, Tiger Barbs, Tetras, 2 Otos
55 gal...5 Australian Rainbows, 1 Angel Fish, 1 Blue Gourami, 6 Congo Tetras, 1 Leopard Ctenopoma, 1 Clown Pleco, 1 UpsideDown Catfish,5 Otos, 1 Bronze Cory, 2 Peppered Cories,2 Panda Cories
Old ,

we are gonna let it cycle for a few weeks and then pick.. im not gonna jump into just any fish ..just looking for some ideas since yall know cichlids and im new to them.

i have had some bream in my 55 gallon and they did quite well.. they even spawned on a regular basis..they are the only ones though that did good..rest just hid.

ill ask as we find intresting fish that have caught his eye and get opinions
Old ,

Did you get any pics of the bream spawning? I have seen them over their "bream beds" in local lakes, but not close up. I have caught them a hundred at a time and love them battered and fried. Here they can get the size of two hands.
Old ,

no i didnt this was about 7 yrs ago years back when i first got my first tank..my husband went out with his uncle and they were hoopnet fishing for large catfish and caught 3 bream in the net... he brought them home for the tank and they did great.. the male went to one side of the tank and fannd a hole in the rocks with his tail.. a about a week later we had company and the fish decided then was a good tme to put on a show.. they spawned for hours.. it looked like a heavy snowfall on one half of my tanks..they fanned them and 24-36 hours later i had lil fry.. 24 hours later ,as they started to swim , i lost all my babies..mom and dad had a great meal.. week later, we got another heavy snowstorm in the tank,so i boogied it on down to a pet store and bought a divider, to keep mom and dad on their side when the babies started jumping..that worked for 2 days.. one morning dad somehow crossed the divider and ate all the lil ones...this went on for months,and then we moved and i let them go in a friends pond.. i didnt have anywhere to put them while i reset up the tank.. sad day in the household of Bridges.. we still talk about those fish..it was a GREAT way to start the hobby.

we catch nice ones here too.. we found a new pond on our hunting lease and was catching perch and bream bigger then my hands bass were nice size also... it wasnt even a challenge.. before you could set your reel, the cork was gone...i wanna go back and fish , but i still havent gotten over the redbugs from that trip. it is nice loading up the 4 wheelers and going fishing though..i love living in the country..
theres one lil pond( really an over sized mudhole.) we go to and catch micro fish.. you have to use lil baby hooks to catch them. biggest ones are pushing 2 inches, maybe..and thier color is soooo beautiful..and the lil micro catfish are so cute... i love how they croak at you.

i dont eat fish or seafood.. guess cuz i grew up catching them and playing with them..i dunno.. i hate when we catch and someone wants it.. i beg keith to let it go.. and when they swallow a hook ot it goes through the eye..
Old ,

wow- what a great story
10 gallon assort guppies & platy
3 - 3 gallons 1 betta each
1 - 75 gallon - 2 raphael catfish, 1 melanistus cory, 5 trilineatus, 3 kuhlis, 10 diamond tetras, 5 albino danios, 7 panda cory
Old ,

thanks .. i thought for a while there it was gonna be a novel...