Forums  
  Discussion  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > Freshwater Tropical Fish Discussion > Aquarium Tank Setup Ideas

Aquarium Tank Setup Ideas Pictures of our tanks to give ideas to everyone.

Old ,

Default What fish for my 100l tank

Hello there i have recently joined the world of tropical fish and would like some advice please the fish im thinking of putting in to my tank which is 100 litres are as follows. Please can people tell me if they are ok and what order to put them in also how many loaches and what type thank you i look forward to hearing from you all
im thinking of

6 or so black phantom tetra
6 or so red phantom tetra
3 angel fish
1 or 2 loaches which ever you think is best
6 or so guppies
1 peppermint pleco
Old ,

Default Re: What fish for my 100l tank

Hi Adam! Welcome to Tim's Tropicals! The fish you have chosen will overstock a 100 litre tank. You could have one Angel fish, six Tetras, and one Peppermint Pleco. If your tank is cycled, I would add the tetras first, then the Angel, and the Pleco. If the tank is not cycled, read about how to cycle a tank ......
10 gal... Cories, Neons and Cardinals
10 gal... Blue Gourami
Patio Pot... Fantail Goldfish
29 gal... Mbuna Tank
29 gal... Red Eyed Tetras, Black Skirt Tetras, 2 Kribs, Otos
55 gal... Australian Rainbows, 1 Angel Fish,1 Transparent KnifeFish, Clown Loaches, Leopard Ctenopoma, Clown Pleco, Otos

5 gal... Robin, (Betta)
5 gal...Pete, (Betta)
5 gal...Scotty(Betta)
10 gal...Female Betta Sororiety
10 gal... Neons, Glolights and Cardinals, 1 Oto
10 gal... Ram Pair
29 gal... Mbuna Tank
29 gal... Krib Pair, Tiger Barbs, Tetras, 2 Otos
55 gal...5 Australian Rainbows, 1 Angel Fish, 1 Blue Gourami, 6 Congo Tetras, 1 Leopard Ctenopoma, 1 Clown Pleco, 1 UpsideDown Catfish,5 Otos, 1 Bronze Cory, 2 Peppered Cories,2 Panda Cories
Old ,

Peppermint plecos are really cute
100 liters is roughly 26 US gallons, I think? Is this correct?
If so, I would trim down your list just a bit

Bernie, our supermoderator, has written an excellent article on tank stocking. It is found in our articles section. I've place a link to it here, or just go to the articles section and look up the sticky 'one inche per gallon rule'. THe one inch per gallon rule goes by full-grown size of the fish, not how large they are at the moment...

If you place all of these fish in that tank (assuming it does equal roughly 26 gallons), the tank will be overstocked and you will have a lot of problems trying to keep your fish alive...

the pleco gets up to 7 inches long... so its going to need a very large tank
10 gallon assort guppies & platy
3 - 3 gallons 1 betta each
1 - 75 gallon - 2 raphael catfish, 1 melanistus cory, 5 trilineatus, 3 kuhlis, 10 diamond tetras, 5 albino danios, 7 panda cory

Last edited by Tim : at .
Old ,

ok thank you for your help so far when you say trim the list a bit buy how much lol i thihk i will leave the pleco off at the moment as it grows the biggest out of the fish i want to have. Also im not sure on sizes of gallons but my tank is 27 us and 22 uk gallons hope this helps. Also could you please advise me on what loach i should have and 1 or 2 sorry im very new to this so will be asking loads of questions cant wait for your reply.
An one last thing my tank is cycled and checked all readings been doing this for about 3 weeks going to go an get my 6 balck phantom tetra later cant wait.
Look forward to all your replys thank you
Adam
Old ,

Generally, the rule is, you allo wone inch of fish (at full grown size) per gallon.

So if you have fish X that grows to a max siz of 3 inches, you could put 9 of these fish in your tank. There's more to the rule than meets the eye... esp when dealing with larger fish.

Sharon made some good suggestions in her post below.

I would look at your list of fish and decide whicd are the ones you absolutely positively cannot live without and go from there. If you are going to put in the black phantom tetras, they reach a max size of 2 inches.. so if you put in SIX, six fish multiplied by 2 inches each equals 12 inches.. leaving you with about 15 inches left.

I'm unfamiliar with many loaches, but I have clown loaches- those guys get big, like siz inches and they prefer to be with buddies, so I wouldn't advise a clown loach... you could put a group of kuhli loaches in there... they get 4 inches max... so you could put maybe 3 kuhlis... or you could put some cories in there- depending on the type, they get 1-3 inches in size. let's say you go for the larger ones at 3 inches- you could put five in... etc.

IDK- see what the others think. Its early and my coffee hasn't kicked in yet so I hope this is making sense

Tim's has a pretty nice resource on the home page - if you click on galleries, it brings up slider bar lists with which you can check out various fish profiles. Maybe you've already been there.

Its so much fun planning a tank, isn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADAMeh View Post
ok thank you for your help so far when you say trim the list a bit buy how much lol i thihk i will leave the pleco off at the moment as it grows the biggest out of the fish i want to have. Also im not sure on sizes of gallons but my tank is 27 us and 22 uk gallons hope this helps. Also could you please advise me on what loach i should have and 1 or 2 sorry im very new to this so will be asking loads of questions cant wait for your reply.
An one last thing my tank is cycled and checked all readings been doing this for about 3 weeks going to go an get my 6 balck phantom tetra later cant wait.
Look forward to all your replys thank you
Adam
10 gallon assort guppies & platy
3 - 3 gallons 1 betta each
1 - 75 gallon - 2 raphael catfish, 1 melanistus cory, 5 trilineatus, 3 kuhlis, 10 diamond tetras, 5 albino danios, 7 panda cory
Old ,

Hi ADAMeh,

Isn't it fun - planning for the fish. All the different possibilities. Being new myself, i just keep learning more and more.

I have a 120 ltr tank at the moment which I am going to prepare for a trio of apistogrammas, but this will be some time away yet, as I am having a reshuffle.

Unfortunately, I can't advise, but would always go with what the 'experts' here say. Good luck with your choices, fun isn't it.

Michelle
Old ,

Smile Re: What fish for my 100l tank

Got my black phantoms in and ther ayre really cool settlein in well i think.
So what fish do i go for next i want some bottom feeders that will route in the gravel as when i feed the tetras small food bits are going there an not getting eaten, i also want an algae eater like a sucker fish i think any ideas. It is so much fun i want a bigger tank allready so i can get more fish lol
Old ,

ok looking in to this a bit more there are so man tfacts on this site its amazing beter than any book i have come across. I have been looking at the chinese algae eater the otto and the flying fox can people please give there views and pros an cons on them please thank you
Old ,

Hi Adam...When you cycled the tank, did you use a source of Ammonia to do so. I'm just double checking as some people think that letting the water filter is cycling. I'm glad the Black Phantoms are settling. Cories are nice little bottom feeders, but the tank needs to be stable for three months before adding them. They're worth the wait, though! Otos are good for eating algae, as are Siamese Algae Eaters but they need a stable tank as well. Do NOT get a Chinese Algae Eater. When they get to 3 inches, they will suck on your other fish, and kill them. Glad you're having fun. I bet a larger tank is not far off....

5 gal... Robin, (Betta)
5 gal...Pete, (Betta)
5 gal...Scotty(Betta)
10 gal...Female Betta Sororiety
10 gal... Neons, Glolights and Cardinals, 1 Oto
10 gal... Ram Pair
29 gal... Mbuna Tank
29 gal... Krib Pair, Tiger Barbs, Tetras, 2 Otos
55 gal...5 Australian Rainbows, 1 Angel Fish, 1 Blue Gourami, 6 Congo Tetras, 1 Leopard Ctenopoma, 1 Clown Pleco, 1 UpsideDown Catfish,5 Otos, 1 Bronze Cory, 2 Peppered Cories,2 Panda Cories
Old ,

hello yes i did use a source of amonia when i cycled my tank, What about the flying fox fish and corries any one in particular??
Thank you for all your help so far