Forums  
  Discussion  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > Freshwater Tropical Fish Discussion > Aquarium Tank Setup Ideas

Aquarium Tank Setup Ideas Pictures of our tanks to give ideas to everyone.

Old ,

Default quick question???

i am gonna set my son up a 10 gallon tank..its not set up and hasnt been no water in it. i read about putting danios in it to help getting everything the way it should be...how long do i wait to add the danios?as soon as i set the tank up, or a few days from now?we ear headed to town and was gonna pick some up if i can add them right away????
Old ,
Super Moderator

Default Re: quick question???

You can add them straight away, but I must emphasise that even hardy fish like danios can be stressed by the cycling process and you always have to be prepared that some may die (hopefully not), but if you keep a very close eye on the water parameters during cycling and do the necessary water changes when needed it should be OK.

Fishless cycling is always the best way to go as far as the fish are concerned but if adding fish straight away, you can move some of the gravel from your established tank into the new tank and use the media from it as well, it will help... I personally do not fully believe that a tank can be instantly cycled by doing this but I do believe that it helps, as long as you have an ammonia source to keep the bacteria alive.

Last edited by Bernie : at .
Old ,

i normally do a fishless cycle and do not know too much about doing it with fish in there..

what is a safe time to let it go without fish for a 10 gallon. i ahve normally gone 2 weeks and have had no problems with that.. what is anyone elses advice, opinion,ideas....
Old ,

Sorry, I have no idea. I always do fishless.
10 gallon assort guppies & platy
3 - 3 gallons 1 betta each
1 - 75 gallon - 2 raphael catfish, 1 melanistus cory, 5 trilineatus, 3 kuhlis, 10 diamond tetras, 5 albino danios, 7 panda cory
Old ,

I use my comet goldfish (just one) after 1 week of fishless cycling and letting the water calm. Then i just start adding more and more fish. I see how the first fish reacts then the second.
"Speak your mind, even if your voice shakes."
-Maggie Kuhn
Old ,

Wait at least a week. And agree on adding one at a time. Good luck.

"It's better being happy than being right"
Old ,

thanks. my son is really excited..he cant decide what type of fish.. he know for sure a rainbow shark, but toher than that he doesnt know..now i gotta go test the tank.. it had come unsealed and i resealed it with silicone wed..so iim gonna set it on newspaper to see if it leaks over night....hope i did it right
Old ,
Super Moderator

Just my opinion of course, but if the rainbow shark is for the 10 gall...even though the sharks look very small in the shop, they really need a much bigger tank, so please think about it first.
Old ,

we have upgraded to a 30 gallon tank...i think i must be insane setting up a new tank!!! would that be large enough for the shark.. i have 3 55 gallons that the shark can be up graded to when needed.

and info on what types of cichlids can go in a 30 gallon, pref ones that will stay small?he hs think about maybe native fish.. we ahve a small pond on our hunting lease we catch lil baby( 2in and under)perch.. a school of a bout 6 would be really pretty, but he was checking out the cichlids at petland sat befour we decided on the 30 gallon.
Old ,

What ever you get please properly cycle it. Research the various types of cichlids, particulary the dwarf varieties as 30gals is not a big tank. Wild local fish are best left in the wild. Bream, pearches, bass ect. do not do well in anything but the very large aquariums if at all.

Last edited by Dano : at .