Forums  
  Discussion  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > Freshwater Tropical Fish Discussion > Aquarium Tank Setup Ideas

Aquarium Tank Setup Ideas Pictures of our tanks to give ideas to everyone.

Old ,
ferret

Default standard 3 footer doin nuthin

howdy all. I have a 3 foot tank sitting here doing very little. I was originally going to do a marine F.O.W.L.R. setup but I am thinking of somethin less....of a pain in the ****.

I have a large african cichlid tank, a 4 foot planted live bearer tank, 2 foot goldfish tank and a nano marine tank.

what would go well in the 3 footer that I don't already have? I was thinking some oscars but they'll out grow it.

any ideas?
Old ,

Default Re: standard 3 footer doin nuthin

you could put a male betta and a few female bettas, some tetras (big enough not to get eaten by the betta), some loaches or cories or other catfish for tank cleanup.

you could put some angels... you could also put gobies or Bichirs.

Just some suggestions,
Dave
Old ,

Please do not consider mixing male and female bettas! It is far more likely that the betta would be nipped by the tetras, than it would be for the betta to eat the Tetras!
Now, Angel fish, yes...tetras would be fine for that tank, with a school of Cories. Some of the smaller cichlids would be Ok. Why don't you choose some fish you find interesting, and then ask questions. It's hard to suggest fish without knowing the kind of fish you like...

5 gal... Robin, (Betta)
5 gal...Pete, (Betta)
5 gal...Scotty(Betta)
10 gal...Female Betta Sororiety
10 gal... Neons, Glolights and Cardinals, 1 Oto
10 gal... Ram Pair
29 gal... Mbuna Tank
29 gal... Krib Pair, Tiger Barbs, Tetras, 2 Otos
55 gal...5 Australian Rainbows, 1 Angel Fish, 1 Blue Gourami, 6 Congo Tetras, 1 Leopard Ctenopoma, 1 Clown Pleco, 1 UpsideDown Catfish,5 Otos, 1 Bronze Cory, 2 Peppered Cories,2 Panda Cories
Old ,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon View Post
Please do not consider mixing male and female bettas! It is far more likely that the betta would be nipped by the tetras, than it would be for the betta to eat the Tetras!
Now, Angel fish, yes...tetras would be fine for that tank, with a school of Cories. Some of the smaller cichlids would be Ok. Why don't you choose some fish you find interesting, and then ask questions. It's hard to suggest fish without knowing the kind of fish you like...

I was thinking that with a big enough tank that is planted that a few female betta would be ok with a male?? but you know more about betta than I do; when I had betta over 20 years ago the male always killed the female I would put in the tank. Learn something new everyday....

Dave
Old ,

The male will kill the female, or sometimes the female will kill the male. I suppose it has been done with larger tanks, but the fish cannot be happy and relaxed under these conditions. They know that there are glass walls preventing escape. There are so many better choices for a three foot tank...

5 gal... Robin, (Betta)
5 gal...Pete, (Betta)
5 gal...Scotty(Betta)
10 gal... Ram Pair
29 gal... Mbuna Tank
55 gal...5 Australian Rainbows, 1 Angel Fish, 1 Blue Gourami, 6 Congo Tetras, 1 Leopard Ctenopoma, 1 Clown Pleco, 1 UpsideDown Catfish,5 Otos, 1 Bronze Cory, 2 Peppered Cories,2 Panda Cories
Old ,

I would put the female in a mason jar with an airstone going to it (on low) inside the tank where the male was. The male would see her and blow a bubble nest; she would see him and get vertical stripes and for what ever reason when I put them together one or two days later I would find the female dead. I did this about four times trying to get some breeding going on and I quit as I didn't think I was doing something right, and I got tired of killing fish (I really don't like to see things die... unless I specifically buy a critter for food, and then I don't like seeing it rather realize it is a part of nature).

This is after reading "Bettas" by Marshall E. Ostrow

Dave
Old ,

Wow

a three foot tank sitting all alone and unused... what a shame!

I'm sure we can help you out with this misfortune *lol*

I would ask these questions of you:

would you like a few large fish?
a large group of schooling fish?
a mix of larger and smaller fish?
a planted aquarium?
artificial plants?
coldwater tank?
tropical tank?
lots of rocks, wood and hiding places?

one fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish? <g>
10 gallon assort guppies & platy
3 - 3 gallons 1 betta each
1 - 75 gallon - 2 raphael catfish, 1 melanistus cory, 5 trilineatus, 3 kuhlis, 10 diamond tetras, 5 albino danios, 7 panda cory
Old ,

Ferret, Some of your native fish would be cool and you could send photos of them for us to share. Australia has a lot of interesting fish . Killies Rainbows, Ect.
Old ,

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Gray View Post
I would put the female in a mason jar with an airstone going to it (on low) inside the tank where the male was. The male would see her and blow a bubble nest; she would see him and get vertical stripes and for what ever reason when I put them together one or two days later I would find the female dead. I did this about four times trying to get some breeding going on and I quit as I didn't think I was doing something right, and I got tired of killing fish (I really don't like to see things die... unless I specifically buy a critter for food, and then I don't like seeing it rather realize it is a part of nature).

This is after reading "Bettas" by Marshall E. Ostrow

Dave

When the female is placed with the male, they need to be watched carefully. One may not accept the other, or they may not actually be ready. Then, one needs to be removed...

5 gal... Robin, (Betta)
5 gal...Pete, (Betta)
5 gal...Scotty(Betta)
10 gal... Ram Pair
29 gal... Mbuna Tank
Old ,

Good luck with your choices - keep us posted
jellygirl