Forums  
  Discussion  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > General Aquarium Care > Disease

Disease Questions and comments about fish diseases.

Old ,

Unhappy I think my dwarf Gouramis is dieing

Hay there I hope someone can help me I think my gouramis is dieing... he\she likes real bloaded and it has got bigger in the last 2 days or so... I noticed it the day befor yesterday and it has gottin' worse the past 2 days... it can not be spawning it is the only one in the tank for about 2 months and I think it is a male... It seems to be normal in all other things it is eating and swilling around and not being bullied by any one... All it's fins are standing up so no signs of stress no new fish for a month... PH is 7.2 and temp is 76f... Can someone HELP me please.....rob !!!!!
Old ,

Default Re: I think my dwarf Gouramis is dieing

Does it appear to be passing a normal looking string of poop occasionally?
Old ,
Super Moderator

Sorry to hear that Rob...I would only be surmising here, that it could possibly be Dropsy or Constipation, in these cases they often have a loss of appetite though. It is a good sign if he is eating/swimming normally. Is he pooping normally (Dano has already asked this)...or does his feces look white and stringy? What is his diet like (giving as varied a diet as possible often helps avoid a lot of illnesses in fish)? Bloodworms often cause constipation/bloat in fish. Also just wondering how many fish are in the tank and how big it is, and when was the last partial water change...Sorry if you have mentioned these details in another thread somewhere.

Dropsy can be brought on by poor water quality etc. or an internal parasite...Often you will notice that as it progresses, the fish’s scales will start to stick out and their eyes may protrude. When it gets to this stage, not a lot can be done. Sometimes meds. like tetracycline or one of the anti-bacterial meds. that treat internal bacterial infections may help. Isolating him into a quarantine tank if using medications is often a good idea, as Dropsy is not overly contagious depending on its cause.

If you think it is constipation (which can lead to swim bladder problems), not feeding for a couple of days often helps, also feeding a pea is a good laxative...a frozen pea is fine, just microwave it in a bit of water for 10 secs or so to make it soft, then take the shell off and cut or squash the actual pea into easy to eat pieces for the fish. Also adding One tablespoon of Epsom salt for every 5-10g of water also helps with constipation.

I would start by testing your water parameters just to rule them out; high nitrate levels can be a factor in Dropsy. Gouramis are prone to this illness and sometimes constipation unfortunately. I would keep a very close eye on him at this stage and perhaps start by feeding the peas (making sure he gets to eat some) and then not feed for a couple of dys to see if that helps and watch his scales for any pine coning affect etc.

Hope he gets well!

Last edited by Bernie : at .
Old ,

hay there guys I don't think I said it...there are 34 fish in a 75 gal (48LX12DX18H) the last 25-30% water change was a week ago fri past...and I haven't noticed if he has had a poo lately... I will move him tonight to my 10 gal and try the pea and see if that helps...will keep you posted..thx rob
Old ,

If nothing appears to be wrong with the fish other than the big stomach area, I wouldn't move the fish or even think about any kind of medication. Why stress the fish until something does show up as being wrong. Try the pea thing like Bernie suggests.
Old ,

hay just a up date he still seems the same...moved him last nite to my 10g and he seems to take the move ok had no trouble netting him... tryed the pea tonite he had a little i guess it is a waiting game now...
Old ,
Super Moderator

If he isn't showing any other symptoms and still swimming/acting normally...that is good. I would wait another day or so, feeding another crushed pea and nothing else, It would be good if you could watch to see if he is pooping normally or what it looks like, as it can give an indication sometimes.

Just wondering..is the 10 gall. an established tank? Also..any change you could take a pic. just to get an idea of how big he/she is? If it is a She one other possibility is that she might be egg-bound, but the constipation is more likely.

Last edited by Bernie : at .
Old ,

hi Bernie to awnser you question it is established been running for 4 months with some cores and tetras in it... I will try too get a pic tonight and post later...I need to know if it is Dropsy can my other fish get it!!!!
thx for the help keep you posted rob...
Old ,

There is only one way to find out if your fish has dropsy and that is to wait and watch. Hopefully moving it to the ten gallon didn't stress it too much. The Epsom Salt that Bernie suggested is about all you can do without resorting to meds. which I wouldn't advise unless you have an absolute diagnosis of a disease. If the water conditions in the other tank are and have been good for a while the fish should be able to ward off any contagion.(stressed fish have weak immune systems)
Old ,

Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0008.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	284.0 KB
ID:	1998

Name:	PICT0009.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	248.7 KB
ID:	1999

Name:	PICT0013.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	268.6 KB
ID:	2000

Here are the pic's I got sorry there not the best had too use my daughters camera...Hope you can make them out let me know and i will get batterys tomorrow for my camera...I have also raised the temp in the tank from 76f to about 80f will this help any...thx rob

Last edited by grump : at .