Polls  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > Freshwater Tropical Fish Discussion > Tropical Fish Compatibility

Tropical Fish Compatibility Questions and comments about compatibility

Old ,

Default Re: Danios, Tetras, Betta Nipping

Stormy - this is the website I like - good pictures and info http://www.bettatalk.com/betta_diseases.htm

tetracycline definately did not help Azul at all, I don't know why since it comes recommended by so many sites

I do get irritated when I keep reading this is caused by dirty water I know my tanks have super clean water and I watch them and do fish counts daily to make sure everyone is accounted for and healthy. There is no reason for this and it's happening to everyone's poor Betta's!! I love them so much, but I probably wont get anymore after this

Old ,

I agree Cher. One thing all the sites agree on and say is "dirty water is the main culprit to causing fin rot". Very few sites state nipped fins are a cause. Most all sites say CLEAN WATER WILL CURE FIN ROT. Long finned fish have got to be very prone to fin rot as ALL my fish have been exposed to fin rot and the betta is the only one showing signs. The leopard danios have longer fins. I had 2 tetras and 1 leopard with a quarter of a fin nipped off and their fins have healed up nicely with no treatment. The betta went into a brand new cycled tank w/ no gravel....very clean tank for nearly 2 weeks. Saw the signs of possible nipping/problems w/ his fins and moved him into the 10g snail/critter tank, that is when I saw after another week he did in fact have fin rot. All my fish are fed small bits of raw shrimp, mussel, bloodworms, occasional krill soaked in garlic & fish vitamins plus their staple fish flakes for the FW fish and betta bites for my betta once daily. You cant boost a fishes immune system more then that.....

Can a tank that is cleaned weekly that is cycled be dirty???????My guess is my snail/critter tank made the disease progress further & faster in my betta. I would guess bettas probably have the highest mortality rate out of all fish due to living in cups and their sensitive immune systems. Honestly, this is the first I have read about bettas having problems. I pictured them being one of the hardiest fish. There Is more to the cause of fin rot and no one knows what it is or has a simple common cure for it.

This is what someone from another site who works w/ fish daily and has treated and cured many different fish ailments recommended for treatment:

""I'd recommend melafix in the main tank and one hour daily dips in antibiotic concentrated at ten times the recommended dose in the dip tank.""

I don't know at this time what more I will do as I would not be able to bear watching him have adverse reacations to meds, not eat and still not get through this. At least, through all of this he is eating and swimming around.
10g- ramshorn & pond snails,3 neon tetras, cherry shrimp
10g- QT tank-empty
2.5- QT tank- nerita,amano,anacharis
TTF Album
TPF Gallery

Last edited by StormySkiez : at . Reason: Added more information.
Old ,

Update!

Good news! My Betta is healing nicely! Here is A run down of his treatments after QT, raising the tank temp, frequent LG WC's and 3% aquariumum salt did not seem to help.

I treated him with maracyn plus for a 6 day period. I was verY disappointed in this product as the packaging states 2 types of strong antibiotics that cling to the fish's body to absorb better (lol, my words) The Doses were a cap full of meds every other day for a 6 day period. It didn't work.

After hours of research and no luck with a treatment I felt would work I seeked more advise on another site and was advised to give him maracyn dip baths 10x the recommend dose for 1 hour daily and melafix added to his tank. I did this one day after his maracyn plus treatment for 8 days with daily large water changes w/ aqua salt added 1 tsp per gallon, temp raised to 82 and I also started soaking his food in the meds. Day 4 I had seen the fin rot had stopped. Day eight still no new fin growth.

I switched up his meds and did 1 bath in maracyn 2 to cover all bases in the gram negative and positive bacteria. I stopped the melafix during this time. The Next 4 days I added the maracyn 2 to his tank to ease up on the stress of the baths although he seemed to love the pampering. I think I was more stressed then him. I just felt 10x the recommended dose was not necessary any longer has the rot had visible stopped at this point. On Day 4 of the maracyn 2 treatment I saw new fin growth! I finished his last dose of maracyn 2 a week and a half ago.

His fins are still growing....No relapses! I'm continuing with 1tsp aqua salt and 40% WC's every few days. This was a battle I will never forget. He had 19 days of antibiotics to see the fin rot stop and see new growth.

Before and after Pics. I will post current pics of him very soon.

Before his antibiotic baths:

After his Maracyn Baths and Maracyn 2 tank treatment:
10g- QT tank-empty
TTF Album
TPF Gallery
Old ,

Hard work pays off for the little guy. He better swim nicley now or no cookies for the next month! It seemed that before he was extremely weak, was he going to die or something? I'm glad he is better now.
"Speak your mind, even if your voice shakes."
-Maggie Kuhn
Old ,

Thx Pwat .

No, he has always been strong and ate well. He may have been nipped in the 20g QT tank by his mates. Whether or not he was nipped IDK. His fins never did look right from the LFS. They were all curled up when I took him out of the betta cup. He has battled fin rot for 2 months.

I bought him a gorgous treasure chest last night. He loves it.
10g- QT tank-empty
TTF Album
TPF Gallery
Old ,

The treasure chest was no treasure. He loved it so much he swam under the current to much playing around the chest that the thin part of his fins shredded. I had to remove the chest within a couple of days.

Now I'm hoping he heals and does not get fin rot again.
10g- QT tank-empty
TTF Album
TPF Gallery
Old ,

Oh dear...I certainly hope there is no set back. He IS a cute little guy!!! Well done on all the effort ......

5 gal... Robin, (Betta)
5 gal...Pete, (Betta)
5 gal...Scotty(Betta)
10 gal...Female Betta Sororiety
10 gal... Neons, Glolights and Cardinals, 1 Oto
10 gal... Ram Pair
29 gal... Mbuna Tank
29 gal... Krib Pair, Tiger Barbs, Tetras, 2 Otos
55 gal...5 Australian Rainbows, 1 Angel Fish, 1 Blue Gourami, 6 Congo Tetras, 1 Leopard Ctenopoma, 1 Clown Pleco, 1 UpsideDown Catfish,5 Otos, 1 Bronze Cory, 2 Peppered Cories,2 Panda Cories