Polls  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > Freshwater Tropical Fish Discussion > Tropical Fish Compatibility

Tropical Fish Compatibility Questions and comments about compatibility

Old ,

Default please help me with my 10 gal

I want like the guppy the platy and the tetra .. do you know (10 gal) how many of each I could out in there???
thanks
Old ,

Default Re: please help me with my 10 gal

I would say 4 guppies, 4 platies, and 4 neons should be a good amount for a 10 gal.
Old ,

I would even get 4 red neons or cardinals and 4 black.. The contrast would look quite good!!
Old ,

If you want all three, its possible, but make sure you keep up with waterchanges and add fish slowly. Choose a small, peaceful tetra, such as neon, cardinal, black neon, glow-light, rummy nose, ember, or head and tail light. These all stay small and are generally very peaceful fish, but they need to stay in groups of at least 5. More is always better and that would eliminate bullying or timidness, but I wouldn't get more than 5, 6 tops if you want platies and guppies also. Platies and guppies are also peaceful fish, but they do not need to school. I would add one platy and 2 guppies if you choose to get 5 tetras. They are both live bearers so make sure you get all one sex or else you will end up with a billion fish.
Old ,

i would say a trio of guppies 3 platies and 10 neon tetras
Old ,

I would recommend a trio of guppies, a trio of platty, and a half dozen small tetras.

First, you have to keep livebearers in ratios of at least one male for every two females. The males will harass the females if you don't.

As far as the tetras, they are schooling fish, even moreso than the livebearers. They will get stressed out and be much more vulnerable to diseases if you only get a few. Since you only have a ten gallon tank, I would recommend smaller tetras so you can fit more of them in safely. My personal favorites are the neon tetra, the black neon tetra, the red phantom tetra, the black phantom tetra, the glowlite tetra, and the x-ray tetra. They're all small. Plus a fun side fact is that similar tetras will sometimes school together, so you can sort of cheat with teh half-dozen rule; if you get three neons and three cardinals, they'll school together. I've observed the same thing with black and red phantom tetras. If you feel like getting really crazy, you could get marbled hatchetfish or blackingwing hatchetfish (harder to find).

Hope this helps! Happy fishkeeping.
Old ,

1inch of fish per gal is what i was told xP
Old ,

If you scroll back and review the posting dates, you will see that the original post for this is almost two years old... so don't knock yourselves out on this one The situation has been resolved by now
10 gallon assort guppies & platy
3 - 3 gallons 1 betta each
1 - 75 gallon - 2 raphael catfish, 1 melanistus cory, 5 trilineatus, 3 kuhlis, 10 diamond tetras, 5 albino danios, 7 panda cory
Old ,

Smile Re: please help me with my 10 gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrandaLover0905 View Post
I want like the guppy the platy and the tetra .. do you know (10 gal) how many of each I could out in there???
thanks
Hi have the same gallon tank as you can keep ether 20-30 small tetra or you could 15 guppy and 5 platy.
Old ,

Definitely not...the tank would be seriously overstocked!

5 gal... Robin, (Betta)
5 gal...Pete, (Betta)
5 gal...Scotty(Betta)
10 gal...Female Betta Sororiety
10 gal... Neons, Glolights and Cardinals, 1 Oto
10 gal... Ram Pair
29 gal... Mbuna Tank
29 gal... Krib Pair, Tiger Barbs, Tetras, 2 Otos
55 gal...5 Australian Rainbows, 1 Angel Fish, 1 Blue Gourami, 6 Congo Tetras, 1 Leopard Ctenopoma, 1 Clown Pleco, 1 UpsideDown Catfish,5 Otos, 1 Bronze Cory, 2 Peppered Cories,2 Panda Cories