Polls  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > Freshwater Tropical Fish Discussion > Tropical Fish Compatibility

Tropical Fish Compatibility Questions and comments about compatibility

Old ,
Super Moderator

Default Re: Fantail with tropical?

Quote:

FishDepot: There is no temperature concern! The myth about goldfish NEEDING cold water is just for human convenience. Goldfish grow slower in cold water. Their metabolism is slower so they don't produce as much waste. They are more convenient for humans to care for.
In warm water they outgrow their tanks faster (how horrible!). They digest better and therefore dirty a tank faster. They use more oxygen. In warm water they also reduce their chances for some diseases and their immune systems are better.
Most people who breed and show goldfish keep them in warmer water than do people who keep them as simply fish pets. Its a lot easier to produce a healthy, good quality specimen in warm water.
If you've got the resources to care for a large healthy goldfish, use warmer water.

The only concern I'd have is the slow-moving goldfish being nipped at by the other species. Not only so they go for fins, but they love the slime coat. Plecos can be especially deadly for a slow-moving goldfish.

This is only my opinion-for what it is worth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any animal who is destined to be kept in captivity as a pet has the "RIGHT" to live in an environment that will not severely stunt its growth or shorten its natural lifespan.

That myth is NOT just for human convenience. Goldfish can live in warm water Yes! BUT they don't like it - they prefer a temperature that is around 68* which is not suitable for tropicals. Goldfish are not tropical fish otherwise they would be classed as such.

Some people also do prefer goldfish to tropicals because they love them not just because they are more convenient to maintain.

Kept in constant warm temp. will greatly shorten the lifespan of goldfish & is detrimental to their health. They need high oxygen levels which is greatly lessened in warm water.

Water Temp. is not the only thing to be considered - Compatibility is a big issue. A lot of tropical fish can be very nippy & go after slow swimming & long finned fish - the Goldfish is an easy target & will get picked on, adding even more stress.

Goldfish also have different nutritional needs - They need more protein & carbohydrates in their diet than tropicals do.

Goldfish also need more space.

AGAIN!! Any animal who is destined to be kept in captivity as a pet deserves & has the "RIGHT" to live in an environment that is as close to it's natural environment as possible & one that will not severely stunt its growth or shorten its natural lifespan.

EVERYONE PLEASE THINK ABOUT IT!!!!!!!

Last edited by Bernie : at .
Old ,

That was deep.... and im sorry i have a fantail. I've seem them live a really long time in tropical tanks. but maybe its just me my temp. is only like 72F or something. but yah sorry.

29 Gallon
4 Golden Dojo Loaches
1 Fantail Goldfish
1 Small Black Moor
10 White Cloud Mountain Minnows
1 Male Guppy
10 Gallon
1 Female Betta
2 Corydora Catfish
9 Neon Tetra
2 Ottos
5 Gallon
1 Betta-1 Male
2 Ottos
55 Gallon
1 Red-tailed Shark
1 Golden Chinese Algae Eater
1 Common Plecostumus
1 Green Terror Cichlid
1 Jack Dempsey
1 Bristlenose Plecostomus
1 Australian Blue Yabbie Lobster
1 Three Spot Gourami
Old ,

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishDepot View Post
There is no temperature concern! The myth about goldfish NEEDING cold water is just for human convenience. Goldfish grow slower in cold water. Their metabolism is slower so they don't produce as much waste. They are more convenient for humans to care for.
In warm water they outgrow their tanks faster (how horrible!). They digest better and therefore dirty a tank faster. They use more oxygen. In warm water they also reduce their chances for some diseases and their immune systems are better.
Most people who breed and show goldfish keep them in warmer water than do people who keep them as simply fish pets. Its a lot easier to produce a healthy, good quality specimen in warm water.
If you've got the resources to care for a large healthy goldfish, use warmer water.

The only concern I'd have is the slow-moving goldfish being nipped at by the other species. Not only so they go for fins, but they love the slime coat. Plecos can be especially deadly for a slow-moving goldfish.
Really? Well That's funny because my mom had some goldifhs for 6+ years and they grew fast. The thing is Goldfish are not Warm Water Fish. Although they can tolerate 85 degrees it makes them un-healthy. A goldfish's temparature needs to be no more than 79 degrees F.

'' Sorry for the first post that I originally posted. It was 6:00 am here."

Last edited by Aquaman#1 : at . Reason: Needed To Be Corrected
Old ,

Aquaman.....Check the latitudes of the countries you mentioned. Check the general climate conditions of the countries you mentioned. Read the findings of multitudes of research on ornamental carp. Then make your all encompassing statements based on the common accepted facts.

There are always exceptions to what is considered a desired normal environment, but the proven facts are the best advice that can be given for health and longevity of creatures.

Last edited by Dano : at .
Old ,

so they can live in warmer waters just not to warm?

29 Gallon
4 Golden Dojo Loaches
1 Fantail Goldfish
1 Small Black Moor
1 Male Guppy
10 Gallon
1 Female Betta
2 Corydora Catfish
9 Neon Tetra
2 Ottos
5 Gallon
1 Betta-1 Male
2 Ottos
55 Gallon
1 Red-tailed Shark
1 Common Plecostumus
1 Green Terror Cichlid
1 Jack Dempsey
1 Three Spot Gourami
Old ,

um sorta. But they like cold water. It is ok that you got a goldfish though. but there color realy comes out in could water. how big is your fantail nyquist? i will put it this way gouldfish do not thrive in warm water.
But he/she will proboly not live as long as posable. Also goldfish produce 3x as much waste as tropical fish and koi produce 6x as much. So if you gold fish is 3 inches long it will account to 9 inches in your aquarium tank so basicly you need 9 gallons of free space.

"The road to success is dotted with many tempting parking spaces."
Old ,

He's quite small i got a pic of him on my members photos.

29 Gallon
4 Golden Dojo Loaches
1 Fantail Goldfish
1 Small Black Moor
1 Male Guppy
10 Gallon
1 Female Betta
2 Corydora Catfish
9 Neon Tetra
2 Ottos
5 Gallon
1 Betta-1 Male
2 Ottos
55 Gallon
1 Red-tailed Shark
1 Common Plecostumus
1 Green Terror Cichlid
1 Jack Dempsey
1 Three Spot Gourami
Old ,

oh well he is preaty small. i love the name freedy jr. if you could get a 5-10 gal or somthing and made it a goldfish only tank then freedy jr would have a good and prosperous life.

Old ,

yah so if i got him a 10 gallon i could get some swordtails?

29 Gallon
4 Golden Dojo Loaches
1 Fantail Goldfish
1 Small Black Moor
1 Male Guppy
10 Gallon
1 Female Betta
2 Corydora Catfish
9 Neon Tetra
2 Ottos
5 Gallon
1 Betta-1 Male
2 Ottos
55 Gallon
1 Red-tailed Shark
1 Common Plecostumus
1 Green Terror Cichlid
1 Jack Dempsey
1 Three Spot Gourami
Old ,

you can get swordtails with him or without him. but keep the 10 gal a goldfish only tank. Sword tail are not a problem with goldfish.

Good luck

josh