Polls  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > Freshwater Tropical Fish Discussion > General Freshwater Chats

General Freshwater Chats General questions and comments.

Old ,

Cool Did I over do it.

Hi all,

OK ,this is what I did. Every day after work I went to a different fish store. (I have a 20 mile commute and there are about 5 fish stores along the way) Anyway, my signature line shows whats in my take now . Did I over do it?

I have time to return some of them if it's to many to keep in the tank. Thanks.

"It's better to be safe 1000 times than to die once." Mark Twain

Last edited by morgansfind : at .
Old ,
Super Moderator

Default Re: Did I over do it.

Hi Morgansfind I must ask if your tank has fully cycled yet - if it hasn't then you will have problems!
Old ,

Thanks for the quick reply. The tank is going on it's forth week.

Old ,

It's probably not a good idea to go to so many stores on a fish buying spree like that again, if your fish get sick you'll have no idea what fish or store started it and some stores are better with fishkeeping then others. I know it sucks to have a big ol tank sitting with bareley anything in it, but it is best to get just a few at a time and give them a few weeks to acclimate before adding more

Old ,
Super Moderator

I'm afraid that is far too many fish for a cycling tank! Am I correct in that you have added new fish every day? & may I ask when did you start added them!

With the tank still cycling - may take 8 wks to fully cycle, adding extra fish each day puts a huge strain on the bio-load & as the beneficial bacteria haven't fully colonised yet, there isn't enough bacteria to deal with the ammonia that is being produced by the fish & food.

Are you testing the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels every dy or 2nd dy & can you tell me what they are? & doing p.w.changes approx. every 3rd dy (this helps keep the levels down while the tank is cycling).

I would recommend returning the neons, head/tail light tetras & Gouramis at least for now, as they don't handle cycling very well - the danios, barbs & harlies are quite hardy but depending on what your water parameters are saying, you may need to return some of them as well.

If you keep a close eye on the levels & do the frequent p.w.changes though they may be OK.

Sorry to put a downer on your enthusiasm!
Old ,

Did I over do it
^
Not cool!

Last edited by Dano : at .
Old ,

Cool Re: Did I over do it.

Thank you so much Bernie and Suppleupagus for the wonderful, informative and gracious information. This is great information for a beginner. I am returning the suggested fish in the morning.

Old ,
Super Moderator

You're very welcome just wondering, do you have the necessary test kits for the ammonia etc. (you will need them) & a PH test kit - but while the tank is cycling, I wouldn't even try to change the PH, because it fluctuates during cycling, which is normal.

You never know morgansfind, if all those fish have been in there for a few wks already & you haven't lost any - they may all be OK, but cycling does greatly stress fish, due to the ammonia spikes etc. which impacts on their immune system & shortens their lifespan.

I would be interested to know what your ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels are!

Good Luck with the fish! lovely fish you chose btw! sounds like a great tank.
Old ,

ya good luck. After your tanks is cycled you can have aproxamitly 60 inches of fish but add 10 inches a week.

Josh

"The road to success is dotted with many tempting parking spaces."
Old ,

This sounds like what I used to do. The only difference is that I didn't take my Wallet inside the Shop. I left it in my car

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgansfind View Post
Hi all,

OK ,this is what I did. Every day after work I went to a different fish store. (I have a 20 mile commute and there are about 5 fish stores along the way) Anyway, my signature line shows whats in my take now . Did I over do it?

I have time to return some of them if it's to many to keep in the tank. Thanks.

Last edited by mrudzki : at .