Polls  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > Freshwater Tropical Fish Discussion > General Freshwater Chats

General Freshwater Chats General questions and comments.

Old ,

Red face Guess what...

Hi all,

I purchased my 60 gallon aquarium from a private seller on Craig's list. Anyway, since I have been on this forum, I have learned about dimentions and capacity for the fish. My tank is a 50 gallon , according to these measurements - 48 w, 20 deep and 12 wide. Live and learn. The aquarium came with heater, lights, cover and stand for $100. (So I am ok)

This is a great place to learn about aquariums and fish. Thank you so much for being here.

"It's better to be safe 1000 times than to die once." Mark Twain
Old ,

Default Re: Guess what...

lol ohh well. You got it for a steal anyways.

"The road to success is dotted with many tempting parking spaces."
Old ,

Yes, this is a great place to learn! I haven't been here that long and it is amazing what I have learned from everyone here already. I checked around before I found this forum and after I came across this one, I never left! Sounds like you got a heck of a buy on that aquarium!

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away."

Last edited by fishlover : at .
Old ,

This place is a great place to learn! I came here after I found the Tim's Tropicals website. I love to help people in the best way I can. Althought sometimes members may not agree on the way I keep fish. I still try to give out accurate information. As for your tank. A 50 gallon is still a pretty good sized tank for a tropical community! I think you will do fine as long as you don't overstock it.
Old ,
Super Moderator

Yes! I agree that is a very good price, you are lucky to find it. Still a bit of a shame that it wasn't a 60 though.

Just wondering - did they say it was a 60 gall. or were you only guessing that it was?
Old ,

Thumbs down Re: Guess what...

the listing said 60 gallons.

"It's better to be safe 1000 times than to die once." Mark Twain
Old ,

That was an awesome deal you got, even though its a lil bit smaller then you were led to believe. I can see how someone can make a mistake with their tank size though, I still have my first "big' tank that I got for my 13th birthday. I was told it was a 36 gallon and it wasnt until last week that I found out it is actually a 30 long! So for 20 years I thought it was a 36...and I inadvertantly had overstocked it for years...
50 gallons is still a very nice size, enjoy !

Old ,

Food for thought! Most of the manufactured tanks on the market are concidered nominal regarding gallon capacity. The formula; length X width X height divided by 231 in inches will give approximate gallon capicity if measured from the inside dimensions of the tank. Bow fronts and multi faceted tanks require advanced math to calculate.

For medicating it is wise to actually calculate the inner dimensions and estimate the volume of the contents (gravel and ornimentation). My standard 55 gallon actually holds a little less than 50 gallons of water filled to the brim.
Old ,

Interesting! I did not know this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano View Post
Food for thought! Most of the manufactured tanks on the market are concidered nominal regarding gallon capacity. The formula; length X width X height divided by 231 in inches will give approximate gallon capicity if measured from the inside dimensions of the tank. Bow fronts and multi faceted tanks require advanced math to calculate.

For medicating it is wise to actually calculate the inner dimensions and estimate the volume of the contents (gravel and ornimentation). My standard 55 gallon actually holds a little less than 50 gallons of water filled to the brim.
10 gallon assort guppies & platy
3 - 3 gallons 1 betta each
1 - 75 gallon - 2 raphael catfish, 1 melanistus cory, 5 trilineatus, 3 kuhlis, 10 diamond tetras, 5 albino danios, 7 panda cory
Old ,

I wonder if you could call it false advertizing?