Polls  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > Freshwater Tropical Fish Discussion > General Freshwater Chats

General Freshwater Chats General questions and comments.

Old ,

Default Tank Repair

Wasn't sure where to post this question....

I have a 180gal and that I need to redo the silicon. Is it simply a matter of cutting the old stuff away, cleaning the glass and applying new? I think its that simple but wanted to make sure first? I need to redo the entire inside of the tank.

Thanks for any advice!
Old ,

Default Re: Tank Repair

I have heard that it is that simple...you just have to make sure you get all the old silicone off. But don't take my word for it, as 180 gal. is a lot of water to leak out!!! I have resiliconed a 5 gal...I couldn't get all of the old silicone off, so in some places, I just put the new over the old. It was a very old tank, and just 5 gal. so I wasn't too concerned. It's still in use, and no leaks!!!

5 gal... Robin, (Betta)
5 gal...Pete, (Betta)
5 gal...Scotty(Betta)
10 gal...Female Betta Sororiety
10 gal... Neons, Glolights and Cardinals, 1 Oto
10 gal... Ram Pair
29 gal... Mbuna Tank
29 gal... Krib Pair, Tiger Barbs, Tetras, 2 Otos
55 gal...5 Australian Rainbows, 1 Angel Fish, 1 Blue Gourami, 6 Congo Tetras, 1 Leopard Ctenopoma, 1 Clown Pleco, 1 UpsideDown Catfish,5 Otos, 1 Bronze Cory, 2 Peppered Cories,2 Panda Cories
Old ,

My students and I recently did this with a 30 gallon tank that we are setting up in the school library. Its a REALLY old tank and had sat out in a barn for like 5 years, so instead of taking the chance that it MIGHT leak, we went ahead and took the precaution of applying silcone to the inside. We wiped it all down and cleaned it out. The we scraped off any old silicone (there wasn't much) and then wiped it down with rubbing alcohol. We applied the silicone and let me tell you - it was great to have the kids helping- they watched intently to let me know where the silicone bubbled up or didn't get an even spread. They tried to apply it but it took a strong hand to squeeve the tube on a consistent, even basis.

We are waiting until Monday to fill the tank to let it stand for a few days to check for leaks. Would rather not have it leak in the library unattended over the weekend...

anyway, hopefully, it works out. It was really helpful to have a couple extra sets of eyes....
10 gallon assort guppies & platy
3 - 3 gallons 1 betta each
1 - 75 gallon - 2 raphael catfish, 1 melanistus cory, 5 trilineatus, 3 kuhlis, 10 diamond tetras, 5 albino danios, 7 panda cory
Old ,

Extra set of eyes.... Good idea!

Where did you buy the silicone? Can I get pure silicone from Home Depot or must I buy Aquarium silicone from the aquarium store? I will probably need 4 of those giant tubes...
Old ,

Evad...it has to be aquarium safe..

5 gal... Robin, (Betta)
5 gal...Pete, (Betta)
5 gal...Scotty(Betta)
10 gal...Female Betta Sororiety
10 gal... Neons, Glolights and Cardinals, 1 Oto
10 gal... Ram Pair
29 gal... Mbuna Tank
29 gal... Krib Pair, Tiger Barbs, Tetras, 2 Otos
55 gal...5 Australian Rainbows, 1 Angel Fish, 1 Blue Gourami, 6 Congo Tetras, 1 Leopard Ctenopoma, 1 Clown Pleco, 1 UpsideDown Catfish,5 Otos, 1 Bronze Cory, 2 Peppered Cories,2 Panda Cories
Old ,

It has to be aquarium safe, but I didn't pay the big Pet Store price and got it at a hardware store. It said right on it that it was safe for aquariums.

40 gal breeder: 4 tiger barbs, 6 black ruby barbs, 2 aurelius barbs, red tail shark, clown loach, 4 cories, rubber nosed pleco, and a sailfin pleco (Rumsfeld)
29 gal: 6 rosy barbs (some home grown), 4 cherry barbs, 2 new dwarf neon rainbows, red tail shark, 7 cories, and a sailfin pleco (Karl- after Karl Rove), 2 otos
Eclipse 3: Clifford The Big Red Fish (betta)
Old ,

Got it - thanks