Polls  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > Freshwater Tropical Fish Discussion > General Freshwater Chats

General Freshwater Chats General questions and comments.

Old ,

Unhappy Dying Fish ????

Sorry for asking so any questions all the time, but.....

I need this week I have lost 2 fish, one Tuesday & one Thursday, I haven't notice any change in there actions they have been eating fine, swimming fine, I haven't notice anything wrong. Each one that has died was stuck to the side of the intake cover on the filter. I use (2) Aqua-Tech 30-60 Power Filter w/bio-fiber biological. This may be a silly question but could the fish get sucked to the side of the intake & not be able to free themself? I don't know how old they could have been but I brought them January 29th,
but that would be odd 2 dying in the same week.

I have a 55 gallon tank with:
(4) Rosy Barbs, (3) Bloodfin Tetras, (6) Misc. Planties, (4) Dalmation Mollies, I had 1-Dalmation to die & 1-of the Misc Planties to die.

Also in the tank I have:
A sunken ship, silk plants & (2) real Java Plants.

Last Thursday, I did a 20-25% W/C, so on Sunday I did a testing using the API Test Kit the reading was:
Ph 7.6...High Range Ph 7.4.....Ammonia 0....Nitrite 0....Nitrate 5.0, did a reading on Tuesday, everything was the same, Thursday (last night) did a testing the reading was: Ph 7.6...High Range Ph 8.0....Ammonia 0....Nitrite 0.
Nitrate 10 (?) (why so high), after the reading I did a 20-25% W/C, since the nitrate was so high could this be the reason for the dying fish?

Sorry....
I forgot to menation I have 3 Mystery Snails, but I can only find 2 of them.

My Temp stay's about 78...

My tank has been up & running since about the first of January 2008.

Sorry for the long post, I was trying to get everything in.

Thanks Again,
Sugarcookie

Last edited by sugarcookie : at .
Old ,

Default Re: Dying Fish ????

possable reasons for death:
*Unknown fungis,
*Unknown parasite,
*Stress that weekended it to the filter and couldent get loose again.
*Attacked by a ultra-domanant male and then weekened to the filter.
*Soap, although normaly NH would spike. (dont spray cleaning products directly on tank)
* Not able to eat due to more domanant fish.

Solutions:
*Put a disk like pellet of food on the side of the glass every week on top of normal feeding. This might allow the other non dominate fish to feed from either the pellet or regular food.
*Add 1-3 table sppons of salt in the water of your next water change.
*Add Stresscoat.
*Watch the fish periodicaly to see if one is more dominant then the others.(this happeneds more at night with some fish.)
*Wait another month before you add anymore fish or move/add decor.

6.6g = 1 male fancy guppy and fry.
Old ,

well your ph is a little high. It should be around 7.0 unless you have fish that need it higher. It seems to me like you have to many filers 3 is to many. maby take 1 out. do what new guy said.

Good luck

Josh

"The road to success is dotted with many tempting parking spaces."
Old ,

ohhh the nitrate killed them i think. Nitrates usualy spike just before the tank has been cycled ( will in my case that is what happens).

"The road to success is dotted with many tempting parking spaces."
Old ,

Ph or nitrate didn't suddenly kill your fish. Were there any symptoms of stress with the two fish? Any signs of disease? How do the other fish look? What have you done that is different from the past normal activities? You've answered most of these questions, so I would watch the other fish closely and keep testing the water conditions for a while. They could have become severly depressed and commited suicide.

Seriously though.....with the info you have given so far, it would be just guessing to say what killed the fish.
Old ,
Super Moderator

Sorry to hear that Sugarcookie Thanks for putting as much info in as possible - it helps a lot!

I agree with Dano! & just keep testing the water & watching the fish.

I would not recommend adding salt with tetras in the tank.

Nitrate is always present to some degree in a tank, 5-10 is usually normal, if it gets above 20 then it starts to become harmful to fish. p.w.changes (which you did) is really the best & only sufficient way to remove nitrates.

It is good that your ammonia/nitrite are steady at 0 & now have nitrate readings, since the tank has only been running since January, I agree that your tank is now at the end of the cycling process ( usually takes 8 wks to fully cycle).

Your molly & platy could have died from stress caused by the cycling. They could have had an internal parasite when you bought them (livebearers are prone to these). If a snail is missing it could also be possible that if they ate the snail & it didn't agree with them - maybe they ate too much of it. It is all speculation though as Dano mentioned, but I do think it was more likely stress from cycling, too many fish for a cycling tank.

I don't think being stuck to the filter would have killed them, even if weak, you would have noticed them much sooner. Dead fish often get attached to the filter intake because they get carried along with the current & they are too big to go through the intake, so they just stick to it.

Last edited by Bernie : at .
Old ,

Was the victom platy and molly male or female.

In the past I've had a male molly kill off other mollys so that he was the only male and his girlfriend was the only female.
10 gallon: Krib fry!!!
8 gallon: 1 Male betta
Neoblaze (Aka Cole )
Old ,

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjoh View Post
well your ph is a little high. It should be around 7.0 unless you have fish that need it higher. It seems to me like you have to many filers 3 is to many. maby take 1 out. do what new guy said.

Good luck

Josh

I only have (2) filters.

Sugarcookie
Old ,

I just wanted to thank everyone for all the HELP.....I'm just learning, so I'll probably have a lot more questions.

Again Thanks ALL.....
Sugarcookie
Old ,

Wink Re: Dying Fish ????

Questions are good. I receive the benefit of reading the question and learning from the answer. Please keep asking.

"It's better to be safe 1000 times than to die once." Mark Twain