Forums  
  Discussion  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > Freshwater Tropical Fish Discussion > Aquarium Tank Setup Ideas

Aquarium Tank Setup Ideas Pictures of our tanks to give ideas to everyone.

Old ,

Default 40 gallon

Well, I have two danios, one betta, and a blue gourami - what else should I get. I was thinking clown loaches and a small school of something.
Any ideas?
Old ,

Default Re: 40 gallon

Hi Petra, unless you are planing on getting a much bigger setup, I would skip the clown loaches as they get quite large and need alot of room.

Some kind of rasbora or tetra would be a nice addition to the tank. Harlequin rasboras are pretty and they are on the smaller end, with scissortails being bigger. Both make nice, tight schools. As for the tetras, I like Emporer tetras, they arent really a schooling fish, but they are on the bigger side of the tetra family and they are very pretty. I have one and depending on how the light hits his body, he changes colors a little bit too. Black skirts are a favorite among other members here as well. Check out the gallery and see if there are any that look interesting

Old ,

Clown loaches are a riot and are the usual center of attraction of any tank. They grow fairly slow and it would be quite some time before they out grew your tank. When they do get large there are many people that will gladly take them. LFSs and people in the display tank business are very interested in acquiring this type of fish. There are many types of loaches that are similar in behavior and equally attractive. Loaches are a community fish and do best if kept in groups of 4 or more. They are generally peaceful and will live with most anything that is not aggressive enough to stress them. Read up on the loaches and if you are willing to do the easy things that they need, you will come to love them as I do.
Old ,

Approximately how long does it take for them to reach their full size Dano? I have been reluctant to get clown loaches because of the size factor. What would the minimum tank requirements be for the small ones from the lfs? I am setting up another small tank and moving some fish around, but that will only free up the 20 xhigh a the moment, that's probably not a good size for them, huh? Nice and tall, but not alot of surface area ( I am really starting to hate that tank ) Is there a specific site I can check out? They are awfully cute

Old ,

I would estimate it may take over two years for a 1 1/2 inch to reach the 4 to 6 inch size. This is the forum I use frequently.http://www.loaches.com/ More "floor space" is always preferable for almost all fishes. I call it "running room" as it allows for more hiding spaces. You will notice that most fish available on the market live in the middle or near the bottom of a tank. Bettas, Gourami, Hatchet fish ect. are more inclined to surface activity. They can have a nice surface area and the other fish have running room in larger lower tanks. I have never liked the 20highs and 29 gallon tanks because of their depth. The deep tanks are harder to work with also.(You get your armpits and chin wet)

Last edited by Dano : at .
Old ,

LOL! I feel like a child standing on the step stool trying to reach the bottom of the 20H I practically have to get in it to reach!

Thanks for posting that site, it's really nice! Good pictures too

Last edited by suppleupagus : at .
Old ,
Super Moderator

Just to start with petra, I would increase the number of danios...they are shoaling fish and are much happier in a group.

What is your preference....do you like tetras? you may be limited in what fish you can have though since there is a betta in there.
Old ,

Thanks everybody, I think I'm going to get a couple more danios and a school of harlequen rasboro's. Clown loaches still are very temping too, but I don't want to overstock.
Old ,
Super Moderator

That sounds nice petra...I have always loved harlies.
Old ,

Quote:
Originally Posted by petra View Post
Thanks everybody, I think I'm going to get a couple more danios and a school of harlequen rasboro's. Clown loaches still are very temping too, but I don't want to overstock.
You won't be disappointed!