Forums  
  Discussion  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
    Tim's Web Puzzles  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > Freshwater Tropical Fish Discussion > Aquarium Tank Setup Ideas

Aquarium Tank Setup Ideas Pictures of our tanks to give ideas to everyone.

Old ,

Default Freshwater or Saltwater?

First of all. My gf interested on fish and ask me to setup for her. So, I read some guides that I found in google and purchased 2 feet tank, Lighting with Cover, Hang On Back Filter, Air Pump, Battery Operated Air Pump, Airstone, Crushed Coral, Driftwood, etc...
She can't wait to see fish. That is why I have to add a crystal rock that I got from old tank & another hardy plant from petstore so that the cycling process will go faster. Just after 24 hours. I put in few fishes. Luckily they still survive till now.
Sorry if I made a mistake cause when I was a kid. My father had a big fish. The setup is just 4 feet tank and a powerhead. That is all. So, I thought having a fish is like ABC. Now that I read a lot from google. It sure cost a lot of money, patient and time to have planted / reef tank. Not just a tank and filter. That's why NEVER teach or tell wrong thing to your kids.

Anyway, this is my tank :-

I don't know how i end up with this kinda wrong setup. Cichlids cannot survive in this small tank when they grow to adult size which is above 4 inches. I will give it back to the PetStore once I get the setup I want.
Now I would like to correct it but it must be based on cheaper way and colourful fish ( Afterall, I setup for my gf. She love colorful fish ).

I asked few people and they said planted can cost a lot more because of Co2 injector, substrate, plants, lighting, etc...
For the saltwater setup. I don't plan to have coral cause the wheather in Malaysia in hot and my setup is based on inexpensive stuff. No chiller = No coral. So, I will go for FOWLR setup. The items that I need to start that setup will be salt, Liverocks, hydrometer, kH Buffer, kH test kit & of course colorful fish. I will pick Clown fish because they are colorful and hardy fish.

Let's make it easy ... Items that I need to start a >

Freshwater planted tank with fish
- Substrate
- Plants
- Higher wattage lighting
- Co2 Injector

Saltwater FOWLR tank
- Salt
- Hydrometer
- Live Rock
- kH buffer & test kit

Any advise?
Sorry for my poor english.

Last edited by Amedion : at .
Old ,
Super Moderator

Default Re: Freshwater or Saltwater?

Just copied my reply from the original intro. and added a bit extra.

I think a "reef tank" may cost a lot more than a freshwater tank and if you are not overly experienced in fishkeeping, I wouldn't suggest a reef tank just yet.

Planted tanks can take some effort as well and the choice of plants to get can depend on the amount of light you have (wattage of the light). I personally would get the tank fully established first and have artificial plants/decor, perhaps you could include a couple of live plants to see how they go and add more plants later on.

When you get new fish, I would advise researching the type of fish you want very carefully regarding their water quality needs because a substrate of crushed coral keeps your PH level and water hardness/alkalinity high....you may need to change the substrate..just a thought.

Quote:

Originally posted by ferret:
I think freshwater will be better. saltwater is nice but you need to keep a constant eye on it and the maintenance is a lot more.

I don't think one is "harder" than the other but the time you have to put into the tank maintenance wise will make your decision for you. And the price of a salt water setup too.

I really don't have personal experience with saltwater tanks, so I guess I can't really comment...as ferret mentioned though, I do think they would require a lot more maintenance and would depend on how much time you are willing to put in.

Depending on how experienced one is though, I would recommend starting out with a freshwater tank. In the end it comes down to what your personal preference is though.

With a planted tank, again I have no experience in that either because I really don't want to have to worry about them, so I have only artificial plants. Some people don't use CO2 injectors...other members with planted tanks may be able to advise you more on whether you need one or not.

I do think that a freshwater tank (planted or otherwise) would be easier, but this is just my opinion. Clown fish are adorable though and I would love to have some myself.

Last edited by Bernie : at .
Old ,

I would suggest going with a freshwater tropical tank to give yourself some experience before venturing into any kind of saltwater set up. Saltwater supplies tend to cost a bit more, but more importantly, the fish are more sensitive and arent as forgiving to mistakes as freshwater might be. My understanding is that the majority of saltwater fish come directly from the ocean because they don't breed as readily in captivity, therefore they cost more and they are not conditioned to tank life as they have a constant turnover of water in the sea. That's not to say you can't start out with a salt tank, but I personally feel that a freshwater setup would be best for the experience and then branch off from there

Old ,

Many said that if a planted tank don't have Co2, the plant will not last long. So, I guess Co2 is a must and it sure cost a lot.

Another question is, I put the tank in my room. Everynight I switch on the aircon to sleep. Early morning when I check out the fish. They are at the bottom with their skin colour faded.. Is it they can't stand the temperature?
Old ,

CO2 is not a must for a planted tank. Regarding the AC question...does your tank not have a heater? If not, tropical fish require a constant temp...and shock if it changes.

5 gal... Robin, (Betta)
5 gal...Pete, (Betta)
5 gal...Scotty(Betta)
10 gal...Female Betta Sororiety
10 gal... Neons, Glolights and Cardinals, 1 Oto
10 gal... Ram Pair
29 gal... Mbuna Tank
29 gal... Krib Pair, Tiger Barbs, Tetras, 2 Otos
55 gal...5 Australian Rainbows, 1 Angel Fish, 1 Blue Gourami, 6 Congo Tetras, 1 Leopard Ctenopoma, 1 Clown Pleco, 1 UpsideDown Catfish,5 Otos, 1 Bronze Cory, 2 Peppered Cories,2 Panda Cories
Old ,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon View Post
CO2 is not a must for a planted tank. Regarding the AC question...does your tank not have a heater? If not, tropical fish require a constant temp...and shock if it changes.

Thanks a lot for that ...

Now I have a reason to own planted tank ...

This is what I will do :-
1. Give away the cichlids
2. Remove crushed coral
3. Purchase substrate
4. Let it run for a week
5. Purchase 37w lighting & plants
6. Let it run for a week
7. Purchase Algae Eater
8. Let it run for a week
9. Add fish

Please advise.
Old ,

HI again. Read Bernie's arcticle on cycling a new tank. The tank will not cycle if you just let it run.

5 gal... Robin, (Betta)
5 gal...Pete, (Betta)
5 gal...Scotty(Betta)
10 gal...Female Betta Sororiety
10 gal... Neons, Glolights and Cardinals, 1 Oto
10 gal... Ram Pair
29 gal... Mbuna Tank
29 gal... Krib Pair, Tiger Barbs, Tetras, 2 Otos
55 gal...5 Australian Rainbows, 1 Angel Fish, 1 Blue Gourami, 6 Congo Tetras, 1 Leopard Ctenopoma, 1 Clown Pleco, 1 UpsideDown Catfish,5 Otos, 1 Bronze Cory, 2 Peppered Cories,2 Panda Cories