Polls  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > General Aquarium Care > Disease

Disease Questions and comments about fish diseases.

Old ,

Default HELP! sick cory!

Oh, LHG, you were right! I was mentioning that my cories were hiding out, and you said that could indicate illness. Well, today say my "older" cory - he's got that cottony looking fungus on the side of his face.
I immediately put him in a quarantine tank and have begun using Primafix.

Now, no one else in the tank looks or is acting sick, but should I take the other cories out as well - his tank buddies? Or should I just wait?

Also, advice on a 10 minute salt-bath. Some people seem to swear by it, others are telling me that it's a very outdated form of treatment and does more harm than good.

Oh, and just did a 30% water change in the tank that the cory came from.

Anything else I need to do??

Karin
Old ,
Super Moderator

Default Re: HELP! sick cory!

So Sorry he is sick Karin have you noticed if he has lost his barbels or if they are shorter than normal? that is often the first indication that a catfish has mouth fungus. Catfish/loaches are very prone to mouth fungus from scavenging through the gravel/substrate all the time.

Catfish don't have scales so they are sensitive to salt and medications, so diluting the strength of meds. is necessary - a little bit of salt in the tank will help but just a very small amount and watch him closely for a while to see if he has any reactions like darting around frantically/flicking, laboured breathing or laying on his side for a long time. If he does have any reaction then do a partial water change immediately. Sometimes fungus in cories is very hard to eradicate.

I think the salt bath is still a good idea for fish that can tolerate salt - it is particularly good for livebearers. The best thing is to avoid any unwanted stress on the cory and Primafix may be enough if you think it is working.

If the other cories still have normal barbels and are acting OK, I wouldn't move them yet but if you are worried you could add a bit of primafix into the main tank but remember to remove any act.carbon from the filter if you use it Karin.

Also make sure that all the bottom feeders are getting a nutritionally balanced diet and are getting enough food ( I often think my cories are getting enough but sometimes the other fish eat it all first) - just keep up with what you are doing - water changes, vacuuming gravel well etc.

Is he still eating? If he is that is a good sign. Was another fish introduced recently Karin? if so that fish could have introduced a disease and if this cory was stressed he could have caught it that way. All tanks have many diseases in them but normally fish only become ill if they have already been stressed/weakened from water quality/temp. upset/rough handling/other fish tormenting them etc. otherwise fish can deal with these diseases very well and won't catch them.

Best of Luck Karin!!

Last edited by Bernie : at .
Old ,

I agree with Bernie, salt dips are very effective, but are too strong for most tropical fish, especially cories.

Honestly, I would try using a slightly stronger medication with him if the fungus looks bad, like Jungle Lab's fungus clear. Fungus Clear is a great med and it worked very well on one of my tiny tetras. If you are worried, dose the main tank of cories and other fish with pimafix and watch out for fungus. Keep water quality as perfect as you can for both tanks, and ammonia/nitrite at 0. Use Prime if you need to help you out.

What kind of gravel do you have? Is it sand or smooth pebble, or rough gravel? Cories enjoy rummaging and sifting through the substrate, and if it is something a little sharp, they can hurt their faces, particularly the barbells. That can lead to infection.
Old ,

Ok, will pick up some of the stronger medication today. So far cory is eating ok and acting pretty much normal. But still I'm worried - really love this little guy.
It's difficult, because I have no clue how old most of my fish are. (if you remember, they were "rescued" fish, from a neighbor) So I never know when to expect that they may die.
Re: the gravel. I've been meaning to change to a "sandier" type for quite a while, because of the craziness of the weather loaches and cories. (weather loach will sometimes dive from the top of the tank straight into the substrate, he's nuts) Will begin starting the change-over today.
Thanks, will keep you updated.
Karin
Old ,

Karin, the fact that he is acting and eating normally is a very good sign. I'm sure with meds and clean water, he will be be able to recover since most funguses are easy to kill.

Small grain epoxy-coated gravel is equally as good as sand. It comes in all sorts of colors (I have black) and it is much easier to clean and use than sand.
Old ,
Super Moderator

I'm glad he is eating normally karin, and if he still has his barbels (feelers that have external taste buds on them just near his mouth) then hopefully he sould be alright and the fungus is just from a wound (maybe caused by a bit of sharp gravel) and not the serious mouth fungus.
Old ,

Cory had a bad day yesterday - also noticed that there's not much of his barbels left. However, today he is swimming around more. Not really sure how much he's eaten; he usually eats at night.

Others in main tank still seem fine.

Will update, thanks
Karin
Old ,
Super Moderator

If you have a light on the hosp. tank karin, you good try turning it off during the day for a few hrs or so to see if he comes out and eats, that way you can monitor him to check if he is eating.