Polls  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > General Aquarium Care > Disease

Disease Questions and comments about fish diseases.

Old ,

Default Re: I'm in trouble.....

Thanks Sharon,

I was trying not to step on any toes
I had a high amonia problem in my first tank... so I replaced 50% of the water, dumped in the biro-spira and away it went into a full cycle.. the amonia (both times) only got as high as 1.0 ppm.

I don't know why this guy is having high amonia problems though- havent had the time to backtrack through his post. I use the eco-complete for planted tanks & a box filter... so the BSpira worked really well.

Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon View Post
That's good advice, Greensleeves ...I've read that coppersafe AND Biospira are quite effective, although I've not used either. The only thing I'm wondering about is that the water changes that are going to be required to control ammonia is going to dilute treatment?(Is it a daily dose...if so treat after water change)Ishy, the fact that there are no nitrites seems to indicate that your tank has not really begun it's cycle which is odd if it's been set up for a month. Have you been replacing filter media or washing it in tapwater...If so, don't touch the filter media, as your bacteria needs to grow there...
10 gallon assort guppies & platy
3 - 3 gallons 1 betta each
1 - 75 gallon - 2 raphael catfish, 1 melanistus cory, 5 trilineatus, 3 kuhlis, 10 diamond tetras, 5 albino danios, 7 panda cory
Old ,

Don't worry about stepping on toes, here...LOTS of advice is a good thing!!! I'm thinking the cycle has only begun...

5 gal... Robin, (Betta)
5 gal...Pete, (Betta)
5 gal...Scotty(Betta)
10 gal...Female Betta Sororiety
10 gal... Neons, Glolights and Cardinals, 1 Oto
10 gal... Ram Pair
29 gal... Mbuna Tank
29 gal... Krib Pair, Tiger Barbs, Tetras, 2 Otos
55 gal...5 Australian Rainbows, 1 Angel Fish, 1 Blue Gourami, 6 Congo Tetras, 1 Leopard Ctenopoma, 1 Clown Pleco, 1 UpsideDown Catfish,5 Otos, 1 Bronze Cory, 2 Peppered Cories,2 Panda Cories
Old ,

And perhaps an out-of-date test kit for nitrite? I've had one that always tested zero and that's the conclusion I came to with it - too long on the shelf at the LFS...
75G (283L) gold gourami, yoyo loaches, SAE, danio rerio, glowlight tetras
Old ,

Yes, that could be the problem ...Ishy, you just bought the API test kit? Is there an expiration date?

5 gal... Robin, (Betta)
5 gal...Pete, (Betta)
5 gal...Scotty(Betta)
10 gal... Ram Pair
29 gal... Mbuna Tank
55 gal...5 Australian Rainbows, 1 Angel Fish, 1 Blue Gourami, 6 Congo Tetras, 1 Leopard Ctenopoma, 1 Clown Pleco, 1 UpsideDown Catfish,5 Otos, 1 Bronze Cory, 2 Peppered Cories,2 Panda Cories
Old ,

Goodmorning guys!
Thanks for continuing the thread....
My nitrites still haven't spiked, the ammonia I'm keeping at bay with regular water changes(every other day) won't let it rise beyond 0.25. I checked the nitrites test and there is no best before date on it. On the bottle it says API 2006 so I'm guessing these things can at least last a year.... I have lost 3 barbs after adding the coppersafe and have read lots of bad things about it in the meantime. I'm trying to get it all out slowly as it seemed to have burned my fishies and use a high heat and salt remedy instead! Maybe some melafix that seems to be gentler. My frye are thriving and have not lost one yet. Expecting supplies in the mail to start cycling a few other tanks, 5.5 gallon and another 20 tall. I'll order another nitrite test and let you guys know what's going on...
As far as stepping on toes, no worries here. I like the feedback especially if I'm doing somthing wrong! I have to go put my python down cause my son just woke up! I'll check chemistry and post.
Question..... when can I vacuum gravel at this point?
Old ,

Ishy, I think the nitrites haven't spiked because you're doing a lot of water changes to keep ammonia down...this will slow everything down, and I wouldn't worry. Sorry to hear you've lost some fish...If it's just the barbs, it may be due to the increased temps. I lost three this summer during a heat wave, and the tank temp went up by 2 degrees. Maybe letting the ammonia go to .5 before you do a water change might help the cycle.. how high to let the ammonia go is a problem when you have fish in the tank I wish we could get advice from an expert!!! I don't think Melafix will help with the ick...

5 gal... Robin, (Betta)
5 gal...Pete, (Betta)
5 gal...Scotty(Betta)
10 gal... Ram Pair
29 gal... Mbuna Tank

Last edited by Sharon : at .
Old ,

Sorry to hear about the barbs

Is the coppersafe having any affect on the ick? ie., is it going away, staying the same or getting worse? I don't see any warnings about using coppersafe with barbs on the information pages...

Ick is just icky
10 gallon assort guppies & platy
3 - 3 gallons 1 betta each
1 - 75 gallon - 2 raphael catfish, 1 melanistus cory, 5 trilineatus, 3 kuhlis, 10 diamond tetras, 5 albino danios, 7 panda cory
Old ,

If you decide on the high heat and salt treatment, you might want to add a bubbler or increase surface agitation by angling the filter outflow tube towards the surface of the water....Warmer water hold less oxygen. When I lost five fish during a heat wave,the bubbler resolved the problem. Do you have any fish that don't tolerate salt? Another thought... did the ph change while you were using the copper, as apparently the copper would become more toxic if the ph dropped, and ph tends not to be stable in a cycling tank...Also, the burns on your fish could possibly be ammonia burns??? Has it ever been really high??? I'm trying to think of anything that could help...your situation is complicated by the combination of a cycling tank AND the ick... We really do need an expert, here!!!

5 gal... Robin, (Betta)
5 gal...Pete, (Betta)
5 gal...Scotty(Betta)
10 gal... Ram Pair
29 gal... Mbuna Tank
Old ,

Once again, thank you Sharon and Greensleeves for your advice....
I decided to stick it out with the coppersafe. No salt no high heat and I already have a bubbler in there to help oxygen. I attribute the death of the barbs (I have lost 4 out of 8 and probably gonna lose another 2) to ick and ammonia. Also purchased those fish at the local pet store while the rest come from petco and seem a bit hardier. Maybe the ammonia along with the coppersafe was too much for these guys! The sickest fish are dead and i plan to continue the medication for the 30 day course.
Sharon I took your advice and cut back on water changes to let everything do what it needs to do and the strangest thing happened. I have not performed a water change in 4 days and this evening I took some readings and the ammonia was at 0ppm??? So were the nitrites and I am still expecting my nitrates analytical test in the mail! With the dip stick they appear to be 0. The ph has been stable at 7.6 since September 10th when it skyrocketed to over 8.0. This may have been because I added new fish that day. My hardness is at 50 compared to 120 a few days ago and the alkalinity at 80.
My platy frye are all well and alive and mommy is prego again !
I'll be starting 2 more tanks this week (one 5.5 gallon and a second 20 tall gallon) and was wondering if you had any advice on how to make them a little less crazy than my first experience? Greensleeved I know you mentioned biospira. This product worked for you? I'm finding very mixed reviews as to adding nitrifying bacteria and don't know if I should stick to the good ole fashioned way. I wouldn't mind speeding things up a bit as one of the tanks is for the frye. Should I consider them afflicted by the ick as they were born in that muck? And can I now vacuum the gravel?
Old ,

Hi Ishy...Let's hope the copper treatment works, as the ick is the most important issue right now. The test results are confusing me, because if the tank is not fully cycled the ammonia and nitrites should not be reading 0. Test your nitrates when the test arrives...Maybe it's cycled???!!! Adding new fish would not affect the ph, and the hardness...I don't know why that would be changing(would the copper treatment affect it???) Do you have ANYTHING in the tank that could be altering it? Another question that I have is if the water quality is affecting the fish, why are the fry doing really well? I would consider all fish afflicted by ick, and would probably not move them until it is resolved, or you may find you're cycling another tank and treating for ick at the same time. You could give the gravel a light vac, if it needs it... I've answered your questions with more questions...sorry!!!

5 gal... Robin, (Betta)
5 gal...Pete, (Betta)
5 gal...Scotty(Betta)
10 gal... Ram Pair
29 gal... Mbuna Tank