Polls  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > General Aquarium Care > Disease

Disease Questions and comments about fish diseases.

Old ,

Default Cichlid deaths after 8 yr old son decided to put his goldfish in my tank!!!!

About 3 weeks ago, I bought a 29 gallon tank.
The water tested great (I forget what the #s were). So I added 6 small cichilds and a placo ( after they wer acclimated).
They looked fine, no spots, swimming well and doing their aggressive thing which I admit I like to watch.
Well, MY 8 yr old son decided to add his 2 gold feeder fish to this tank and that's when the trouble started.
I took the feeder goldfish out right away and explained to him why he shouldn't have put them in there in the first place.
I started noticing that some of my cichlids were hanging out in the corners and hiding more than normal and found one with a round white spot on his head which was outlined in pink. It looked a little fuzzy also. He died before I had the chance to remove him. Then I lost 2 more little ones (I say that because they are only like 1 1/2 inches long) who had what looked like the same spots and possibly ick.
I did a partial water change, the pH is 7.8, didn't have the supplies to check for ammonia or nitrites. I also removed the carbon filter then added Ick Away which says treats fungus and external parasites.
The fish started swimming around the tank more normally shortly after adding this. But one of them seems to be hanging out in the bottom at a corner again. I also upped the temp a bit, it's about 80 now.
I am planning on cleaning the stone and sand and do a bigger water change but I don't want to hurt my fish.
I'm also going to take my water in to have it tested today.
I don't know what else to do yet.
Any suggestions?
Actually, as I was writing this my yellow lab is not hanging out towards the bottom any more and is swimming again with the others.
Old ,

Default Re: Cichlid deaths after 8 yr old son decided to put his goldfish in my tank!!!!

besides putting in the medication try to raise the temp to around 80 to 82 degrees farenheight as this will also help get rid of ick.

Also get a liquid test kit so you can check your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels (liquid tests are more accurate). If you can't get a liquid test kit get some test strips (not as accurate, but will give you a general idea of your water) and order a liquid test kit.

I would recomend the kits made by either API or Wardley.

Dave
Old ,

Default Re: Cichlid deaths after 8 yr old son decided to put his goldfish in my tank!!!!

The Goldfish didn't cause the problem but may have added to the bad water quality....You may have a high ammonia level that has weakened your fish to disease.....I don't reccommend the test strips or sticks for any usage as they are very inaccurate....Get the liquid type kits....

You shouldn't clean the gravel...Your beneficial bacteria are mainly in the gravel.....Do 10 to 15% water changes every other day for two weeks to dilute the bad water quality....Be sure to use a good water conditioner and watch the temperature of the water you add to the tank.....Test the water for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate the get back to us with the results.......Stop medicating until the water is good!
Old ,

Thanks guys for such quick replies. The goldfish my 8 yr old bought were from a feeder tank and I know that place that he got them wasn't the cleanest and I don't buy my own fish there.
He had them in their own big fishie bowl but decided that they were lonely! He's a risk taker with ADHD! So, who knows. He may have even added the water from his fish bowl in there too which I am sure didn't help.
I will go out and get the test kits but I may just take the water in too because they test the water at one of the other places I go to.
I'm glad I found this place.
I love my cichlids. Miss my frontosas that I had 15 yrs ago and wanted to get started again. I used to have the best water ever with them.
I'm sure I'll be back again.
Old ,

Cool Re: Cichlid deaths after 8 yr old son decided to put his goldfish in my tank!!!!

Some more questions:
Before I treated for the problem last night with Wardley Ick Away, I removed the carbon filter.
I also changed about 2 gallons of water today after adding the AquaSafe which removes chlorine/chloride and other heavy metals from tap water and made sure it was the same temp as the tank water.
I have also slowly increased the water temp to 82 degrees.
When should I add the carbon filter back in?
Someone mentioned the use of Aquarium Salt to help with the ick and I know that some cichlids are brackish.
I have read and heard about the aquarium salt before but was wondering if this is an OK thing to do?
The fish seem to be doing better today.
Carrie

Last edited by stndgfrm : at . Reason: missed adding something
Old ,

Don't put carbon back in untill several days after the ick cysts are gone.....Salt is not good for general fish keeping....There are no brakish water cichlids.

One of the cures for ick involves the use of heat and salt, but since you have started with a med, you won't need to do the salt thing....Follow the directions on the ick med you are using.
Old ,

Cool Re: Cichlid deaths after 8 yr old son decided to put his goldfish in my tank!!!!

The med says up to 3 treatments in one week.
But you said to stop medicating until the water is good?
Thanks!
Carrie

Last edited by stndgfrm : at . Reason: changed my statement
Old ,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano View Post
There are no brakish water cichlids.
I actually heard this from a guy in a pet store when I lived in Milwaukee years ago and had my first cichlid tank. I had also read it in a book back then.
But now that we have computers there's a wealth of information and I haven't found anything saying that since then. Just wanted to make sure. I know you can't believe everything you hear from everyone in a pet store or read on the internet either.
Although I am a nurse, I wouldn't mind working in a pet store and learning more about aquarium care. I'm getting burnt out on the nursing thing. The places here don't seem to know too much about any of the fish that they do have.
I will try to post the pics of the ones I have left on my myspace so I can have you look at them cause I think the tank may have been mislabeled too.
The first tank I had had and undergravel filter, a biowheel, and a canister. I think it was a little too much. LOL.
How long should I wait before replacing the fish that I lost? And how many would be ok for a 29 gal. if they are only about 1 1/2 inches right now? I am planning on getting at least a 60 gallon tank.
Carrie
Old ,

What are the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels in the tank?....It makes no sense to medicate fish that are stressed in bad water conditions.........You can attach your pictures to your posts directly from Windows.
Old ,

I did check the ammonia level which was high. I then performed a water change which did bring the levels down and will do it again today. I didn't get a chance to get the kit to check the nitrites and nitrates due to my 11 yr old being in the ER until 4 this morning but will also check that or at least take my water in to be tested at the pet store when I get up.
I did notice better activity in the fish after changing 4 gallons of water before I took dtr. to hospital and they still seem to be doing much better.
I will let you know what I find out after I have the water tested again.
The pH is perfect also.
Thanks so much for your time and help. I appreciate it very much!
Carrie