Polls  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > Freshwater Tropical Fish Discussion > Tropical Fish Compatibility

Tropical Fish Compatibility Questions and comments about compatibility

Old ,

Default Upside Down Cats Like . . ?

I posted a few months ago about some nasty issues with dwarf gouramis. I figured out which fish was the killer, and he was adopted by a pet shop - good riddance!

So my current community consists of 2 common plecos, 5 danios, and 1 upside-down catfish. Now, interestingly (to me) the man at the aquarium store told me that the cat may have been the one who killed my cherry barbs. Does this seem to make sense? I thought they were pretty passive fish?

Anyway, after the great massacre, my tank is very empty and lacking color. The danios are entertaining, as always, but I'm looking to restock, and I really want to make sure everyone gets along nicely.

FYI: Before I added the dwarf gouramis, I had the plecos, danios, cherry barbs, and clown loaches. For 2 years I had no trouble (a couple of danios were replaced, and 1 loach went belly up).
Old ,

Default Re: Upside Down Cats Like . . ?

Catfish are carnivorous fish (most of them). Even though they seem passive they are excellent hunters, specially at night. If you want to keep those catfishes try fish that are actually bigger than them or semi-agressive that can defend themselves. But that is my opinion. Good luck!

"It's better being happy than being right"
Old ,

I agree Lemuel, you have to watch those killer catfish. They will sometimes get out of the tanks and chase your cats and dogs. We had a cockerspaniel go missing and the only traces were dog hair in a fish tank.

Just a silly storey
Old ,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano View Post
I agree Lemuel, you have to watch those killer catfish. They will sometimes get out of the tanks and chase your cats and dogs. We had a cockerspaniel go missing and the only traces were dog hair in a fish tank.

Just a silly storey

Good to know; maybe he'll help with our groundhog problems!

Any recommendations on fish to add that will be compatible? I was looking at knifefish, platys, mollys. I'm not opposed to larger fish, but I am feeling cautious about aggression, and I want to get input from some experts before making any more additions.

I am fine with choosing fish larger than the ud cat, provided they aren't mean to him, and they don't mess with my danios. I feel like my plecos can hold their own (they're big and keep to themselves).
Old ,

From what I can find, the USD catfish is basically harmless except to any small insects that might land in the tank and may be small fry. Syno-kev may be able to give you much more insight into the synodontis cats.

I really don't like to advise on fish mixing. Read up on the charicteristics of the types of fish you want, (size, aggressivenes, requirements, ect.) For instance: most knifefish will eat anything that will fit in their mouths, most cichlids are somewhat aggressive, and so forth. I usually use the "WAG" formula when making a final desision, (Wild A**ed Guess)
Old ,

The WAG formula, LOL! That's one to keep on the books ~ I like it