Polls  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > General Aquarium Care > Water Quality and Algae

Water Quality and Algae Questions and comments about water quality.

Old ,

Default green water

i have had my 40L tank up and running for about 3 months and have had a few problems with algea which i have sorted with a combination of water changes and advice from my local pet store, however recently i have introduced more fish to the tank and since then the water has changed to a murky green colour. i have carried out water changes and cleaned every thing and the water seems alright for a few hours and then turns green again. all the fish seem fine and a swimming about happily.

any help appreciated

thanx eddie
Old ,

Default Re: green water

Hi Eddie! You've got an Algae bloom, and a lot of water changes will actually make it worse. I'd reduce light, and any food source that the Algae has. I don't have any experience with dealing with this, but I know a complete blackout for 5-6 days will remove it. Them filter floss in the filter to catch particles, and a good substrate cleaning. You'll really have to figure out what the source of the problem is ie. too much light, too much food, sunlight hitting the tank etc......

5 gal... Robin, (Betta)
5 gal...Pete, (Betta)
5 gal...Scotty(Betta)
10 gal...Female Betta Sororiety
10 gal... Neons, Glolights and Cardinals, 1 Oto
10 gal... Ram Pair
29 gal... Mbuna Tank
29 gal... Krib Pair, Tiger Barbs, Tetras, 2 Otos
55 gal...5 Australian Rainbows, 1 Angel Fish, 1 Blue Gourami, 6 Congo Tetras, 1 Leopard Ctenopoma, 1 Clown Pleco, 1 UpsideDown Catfish,5 Otos, 1 Bronze Cory, 2 Peppered Cories,2 Panda Cories
Old ,

thank you very much for your advice, unfortunately i do have a habit of leaving the light on just for the fact the fish seem more active when it is but i will leave it off for a week to see how it goes. what is filter floss and how does it work and also what is a substrate cleaner? also i feed my fish once a day in the morning before work is this ok or do you recommend more/less

thanx
Old ,

you might try to cut the amount of food you feed in 1/2 and then feed twice a day, that way the uneaten food is reduced thus giving less nutrients for the algae to eat. Remember some of your flake style foods and even pelletized foods are made from/ or contain some algae.

If this doesn't work then reduce the amount of food even further.

Many varieties of fish will help clean the algae, even if not an "algae eater", i.e. swordtails will eat hair algae off of the side of the tank and plants.

you might put some cheese cloth (purchased at hardware, auto parts, or general store) around your outflow from your filter to help catch particles that pass through your filter.

Also adding some live plants may help as the live plants will use up nutrients that the algae is eating thus effectively starving the algae.

These are just some ideas,
Dave
Old ,

Substrate Cleaner....A substrate vac.hose... aka syphon system....you can get them at any fish store.

5 gal... Robin, (Betta)
5 gal...Pete, (Betta)
5 gal...Scotty(Betta)
10 gal...Female Betta Sororiety
10 gal... Neons, Glolights and Cardinals, 1 Oto
10 gal... Ram Pair
29 gal... Mbuna Tank
29 gal... Krib Pair, Tiger Barbs, Tetras, 2 Otos
55 gal...5 Australian Rainbows, 1 Angel Fish, 1 Blue Gourami, 6 Congo Tetras, 1 Leopard Ctenopoma, 1 Clown Pleco, 1 UpsideDown Catfish,5 Otos, 1 Bronze Cory, 2 Peppered Cories,2 Panda Cories