Polls  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > General Aquarium Care > Water Quality and Algae

Water Quality and Algae Questions and comments about water quality.

Old ,

Default Re: Noobie Fishless Cycling question (long sorry)

I agree with Dano's comments re: stress coat & stress zyme. I usually add the stress coat when i add new fish but thats it...

If you're getting the water from a municipal tap source, then it probably isn't contaminated with anything unusual. Hrm...

This is a chart that I usually rec'd to people for review when faced with a puzzling loss: http://www.fishvet.com/diagnosis_charts.htm

Maybe that might help you get an idea as what caused the loss of your fish.... please keep us posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac0923 View Post
i treat the municipal tap water with API tap water conditioner to remove chlorine and heavy metals

i also treat with API Stress Coat and Stress Zyme

the red eared slider is an aquatic turtle i keep in a seperate tank. when i have a loss in my tank, i give the dead fish to the turtle instead of being cruel and feeding them live feeder fish as a snack
10 gallon assort guppies & platy
3 - 3 gallons 1 betta each
1 - 75 gallon - 2 raphael catfish, 1 melanistus cory, 5 trilineatus, 3 kuhlis, 10 diamond tetras, 5 albino danios, 7 panda cory
Old ,

thinking back on it, im starting to wonder with the original tank if the ph was way out of wack.

if the PH dropped wither way caustic or acidic would that cause the fish's symptoms i described?????
(a white fuzzy film on the fish more concentrated on eyes fins mouth) the main body had white stringy stuff similar to peeling skin from like a sun burn)

im wondering if the ph swing either way almost like burned the slime coat off the fish....
Old ,

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac0923 View Post
the fish's symptoms i described?????
(a white fuzzy film on the fish more concentrated on eyes fins mouth) the main body had white stringy stuff similar to peeling skin from like a sun burn)...

What it sounds like to me (but I am not a vet) is some sort of fungal problem.

I had something similar on fish when I first tried my hand at tropical fish.... I had filled the tank and put feeder goldfish in the tank and didn't know better than to add tropical fish with the feeder goldfish. I put a betta male in with the goldfish and he got beat up, and tried a couple other fish and lost them. I removed the goldfish and tried tropicals, but without cleaning everything first and had fin rot and another fungus I had to battle, I ended up clearing everything up with tetracycline and then water changes. This was between 1986 - 1988.

Dave
Old ,

I agree that it sounds like a fungus problem but wow- it came on super fast by the sounds of your post. That doesn't mean it can't happen, I guess.

I think Jungle Fungus tables (fizzy ones) would work really well for that. I used those once for a fish that had similar symptoms.

You mentioned that once you reset the tank back up, the condition returned almost immediately and killed off the new fish... (if I recall correctly)...

My suggestion would be to just start over with all new media. new water etc. You might consider tearing the entire tank down and cleaning it with a weak bleach solution (rinse rinse rinse very well when done).

Or, you could try leaving it set up as is and treating the empty tank water with a fungus treatment just as if you were treating it with sick fish.
10 gallon assort guppies & platy
3 - 3 gallons 1 betta each
1 - 75 gallon - 2 raphael catfish, 1 melanistus cory, 5 trilineatus, 3 kuhlis, 10 diamond tetras, 5 albino danios, 7 panda cory
Old ,

I don't see a fungus disease in her tank...................Fungus diseases grow gradually over a period of several days to weeks....................I am inclined to believe that the fish were irritated by something which caused the fish's slime coating to produce the cloudy eyes and mucus on the skin.

To add any meds with out being sure of what you are treating does no good at all.......Many meds will be harmful to the bio system and even cause the disease organisms that aren't affecting the fish at the time to become immune to the meds.

Ph burn, ammonia burn, and chemical contamination will produce all of the symptoms demac has described in the period of time that the symptoms were noted.

All of this is only one opinion (mine)....I offer it as food for thought before taking actions.
Old ,

Dano, after re-reading his original post I will have to concur with you.

Dave