Polls  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > General Aquarium Care > Water Quality and Algae

Water Quality and Algae Questions and comments about water quality.

Old ,

Default Tea, almost brown colored water, HELP?

Have been living in a rural area for a while now and have had various different fresh water fish. Mostly though african and south american cichlids, because of the hard water. Now grown tired of all the fighting and bickering and constantly rearranging the tank! We wanted to go back to a calm easy going tropical tank, but in order to do so we had to bring down the hardness and PH levels. By the way we have a 75 gallon tank with a fluval 404 filter. Lots of media compartments in this filter, so I added 2 pouches of peat moss and 4 good sized pieces of drift wood. Now the tank is so brown that you can hardly see inside it, so I took out the peat moss media, and left all the drift wood in the tank. I know this is a long winded question but, will the carbon media take care of the discolorization in the tank over time or is there something else I should maybe try?
Old ,

Default Re: Tea, almost brown colored water, HELP?

Hi Bala...The only solutions that I know of, are water changes, and activated carbon. Change the carbon once a month. Maybe you could take the driftwood out, and boil and soak it, until it stops releasing tannins. Some people like the look of the tannins, and the fish won't mind.

5 gal... Robin, (Betta)
5 gal...Pete, (Betta)
5 gal...Scotty(Betta)
10 gal...Female Betta Sororiety
10 gal... Neons, Glolights and Cardinals, 1 Oto
10 gal... Ram Pair
29 gal... Mbuna Tank
29 gal... Krib Pair, Tiger Barbs, Tetras, 2 Otos
55 gal...5 Australian Rainbows, 1 Angel Fish, 1 Blue Gourami, 6 Congo Tetras, 1 Leopard Ctenopoma, 1 Clown Pleco, 1 UpsideDown Catfish,5 Otos, 1 Bronze Cory, 2 Peppered Cories,2 Panda Cories
Old ,

If itís for reassure you , the color will not effect the fish, may be only remove some light to the plants, few water change and it will be less brown, no need to rush the water change, actually many people , including me will like to have tea color for induce some species to breed .

No from experience you will not lower the pH of Hardness with peat moss, you need to cut your water with distillated water or water de mineralized by RO. The mineral in the hard water make a buffer that keep the pH high, the moss have no chance to lower it, when you mix the hard water with RO one, you hit 2 birds with one stone, the RO water have a pH a little bit under 7.0 and it contain no mineral, so the pH get lower and the hardness too.

In conclusion you do not add chemical to the water for lower the pH, you just mix with water with no mineralÖ..
Old ,

I am currently using Tetra Blackwater Tonic to reduce the carbonate hardness and get the ph down to 6.5. Once I get it there I am going to use a buffer to keep it that way. Driftwood and peat moss will lower carbonate hardness and reduce ph. One can use demineralized or distilled water to dilute hard alkaline water, but it is not recommended for long term. Distilled, demineralized, and RO water lack the minerals and electrolytes needed for healthy fish. Trying to make large ph changes too fast is bad for fish. One can maintain a reasonable desired ph level, but a lot of care is needed in doing so. All of the above can be found on the net in a large number of articles on ph, hardness, and water quality.
Old ,
ferret

get some stuff called purogen. It's brilliant. I posted a "recomendation" thread on here somewhere with a picture of the stuff.

if all else fails just google it.
Old ,

Dano, if by example you have a water with 160 ppm of hardeness, before try to lower the pH you have to lower this 160 to letís say 40 ppm. Now I agree with you, you donít do it in 1 shoot, I suggest lower the hardness of not more than 20 ppm a day, the trick is to remove few water of the tank and add some Ro water . but slowly, over an extended period. You do not eliminate mineral, you just dilute them. I hope people understand than I donít means to use only pure Ro in the tank..It will be dangerous for the fish and what to say about the plants.

Not itís dangerous to add buffer to a hard water to lower the pH, because the pH will not be stable, so more stress to the fish. I notice than you make Salt Water, this is not the same, you add more mineral to the water. All river and lake that show low pH have also low hardness too. Even if you throw chemical to lower the pH it will not remove the mineral , it will just interact with them to make other chemical compound.

Now when I say the moss will not lower the pH, itís because I know it will lower it, but not in enough quantity to be efficient. At least not in hard water.

Thatís a well know facts, and understandable. Than too lower the pH and hardness of water, you dilute the hard water in pure one without mineral. Of course the company who sell buffer will say differentlyÖ..marketingÖ..

You suggest than you are not trying to adjust with buffer. Believe me other have try also, with dramatic results too. The Only thing who can save you itís the facts than you learn how too keep excellent parameter in Salt Water, but for the common hobbyist, I will prefer see them keep a simple approach. Anyway, even me, as a professional with medicine and chemical will not play with buffer.
Old ,

Are you refering to the d-limonene slovent ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret View Post
get some stuff called purogen. It's brilliant. I posted a "recomendation" thread on here somewhere with a picture of the stuff.

if all else fails just google it.
Old ,

All I can say is that blackwater tonic, peat moss, driftwood, and specific buffers have worked for me and many breeders for many years. I agree that it is unwise to try to change ph values if they are within a mid range such as 6 to 7.5. If you keep certain types of fish that don't do well at the higher or lower end ph then ph modification is needed. It must be done very carefully. People that live in locations with very hard alkaline water would be limited to a very narrow selection of fish types they could keep. They have to modify their water or import it if they want to keep a mix of the more commonly available fish.
Old ,

Since this is the case for people with hard water, Dano, would it be wise to go the opposite route and use distilled/RO water and add minerals to it to get the desired ph, nitrates, etc... or would this also tend to make for an unstable environment in the water?

Dave
Old ,

NO , I have someone who try it and the fish die after mess with the ratio of chemical in a water change, you do not need to add chemical, you just use your tap water and mix it with Ro water, so if by exemple you have 60 % tap water and 40% Ro, when you make a water change you just have to make the same ratio.

exemple a water with 300 ppm ( it's very hard, ) if mix with Ro at a ration of 33 (tap) - 66 ( ro) % it will give you an acceptable 100 ppm , amd you still have the same mineral present in the water, just in less quantity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Gray View Post
Since this is the case for people with hard water, Dano, would it be wise to go the opposite route and use distilled/RO water and add minerals to it to get the desired ph, nitrates, etc... or would this also tend to make for an unstable environment in the water?

Dave

Last edited by aqualab : at .