Polls  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > Freshwater Tropical Fish Discussion > Tropical Fish Compatibility

Tropical Fish Compatibility Questions and comments about compatibility

View Poll Results: Are Mollies and Guppies compatible?
Yes 3 27.27%
Maybe 4 36.36%
Never 4 36.36%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old ,

Question Molly tank mates

Hi guy's,

I was just wondering if a Molly would go with the fish I have in my 20 galon tank right now?

The fish I have are: 2 female Dwarf Neon Rainbows, 5 corries, and 4 guppies (3 female 1 male).

I checked the compatibility search and if you enter Molly and Guppy, it say's it's not, but then when you search the facts on Molly's, it say's that they are compatible! Very Confusing!!!

Does anybody keep guppies and mollies together? If so, how do they get along?

Thanks!
Vanessa B.
Old ,

Default Re: Molly tank mates

I think they do. Maybe depend on the size of the Molly. I have seen really big Mollys, specially if they were raised in salt water. But I have never heard of an aggressive Molly.

"It's better being happy than being right"
Old ,
Super Moderator

I personnally wouldn't put mollies in with those fish Vanessa, Mollies can get large and will attack Guppies and smaller fish. I also think swordtails and platies are not good tank mates for guppies as well.

Mollies, particularly Sailfins like a pinch of salt with their water, ummmmm yummy and prefer to be kept in a group, the same as guppies even though they are not specifically classed as shoaling fish.

Old ,

Vanessa, I'd say the best bet is not to keep these two types together for their long term benefit. Thanks for pointing out the inconsistency in information. I've removed the reference to Guppies being compatible with Mollies on the Molly write up. It's a challenge to keep all the data consistent and it's made harder by the fact that not everyone agrees what fish can be kept together.

Last edited by Tim : at .
Old ,

The only Molly I had was a Ballon Molly and had him with Guppys in a 10 gallon. They are small and are too busy searching for food to do any damage. My only complain is that they reproduce like theres no tomorrow. But as always, individual results may vary . I never had the luck to enjoy any other type of Molly. Hope this help.

"It's better being happy than being right"
Old ,

Yah, the only molly I'd put with guppies would be the balloon molly like Lemuel said. They stay small and peaceful unlike the monster sailfins...and they are pretty cute too.
Old ,

i think balloon mollies (pot belly) would work, they're very tolerant of all fish, and they are pretty small
Old ,

No!!! I have a molly and guppy and they are not compatible instead of the molly being aggresive, the guppy attacks my molly fry. Livebearers should be kept with their own species in their own tank. It could be a community tank but not with other types of livebearers.
"Speak your mind, even if your voice shakes."
-Maggie Kuhn
Old ,

I keep mollies and guppies together and they do fine. The only problems I've encountered is agressive guppies. I had one guppy chasing mollies, and another eating every fry in sight. Both problem guppies were large females.
Old ,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortyanna View Post
I keep mollies and guppies together and they do fine. The only problems I've encountered is agressive guppies. I had one guppy chasing mollies, and another eating every fry in sight. Both problem guppies were large females.

you can always seperate the fry if you can catch them that is, but its good to have some kind of predater so you dont endup with a million fish, I encourage my fry to survive on their own and i usually end up with 1-2 of the strongest fish, which is nice, natural selection will play a big role as if you seperate them they will not be as strong as they should be leading to adult fish that get bullied