Polls  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > Freshwater Tropical Fish Discussion > Tropical Fish Compatibility

Tropical Fish Compatibility Questions and comments about compatibility

Old ,

Default Tiger Barbs and African cichlids???

I havent been to the forum in a long time but I just now remembered it so im back. But the other day I was thinking if it is possible to keep Tiger barbs and African cichlids like electric yellow labs together.I was just thinking because they are both some what aggresive.
Old ,

Default Re: Tiger Barbs and African cichlids???

has anyone ever kept them together.
Old ,

Hey!!! Long time no see. I have seem them together. BUT.... it was like a 200 gallon tank with a school of about 5-7 full grown Tigers. There were all cichlids but them. Now, I havent seen them in smaller tanks together. My guess is dont try it in smaller than a 55 gallon tank. Would get the Tigers fairly big with not many cichlids. Good luck

"It's better being happy than being right"
Old ,
Super Moderator

I wouldn't try it either, IMO it is best to keep barbs in a species specific tank, but if keeping them in a community tank, it is wise to keep them with other aggressive fast swimming fish, but it may lead to a lot of anger issues, so a large tank is needed as lemuel mentioned.

Tigers can grow to approx. 3" or so.
Old ,

I wouldn't try keeping tiger barbs and african cichlids either because they have very both have very different requirements for their H2O.
Old ,

Indeed, the Tigers I saw where about 3 inches but also where "fat", so they looked kind of mean. I do remember there where Yellow Labs and some Clown Loaches. As soon I get back home I will visit that petshop and will try to get a better look at the fish on it. I did was amazed to see the Tigers and the Clown Loaches there. Interesting topic....

Old ,

I keep Africans, and I think the Tiger barbs would be expensive "snacks" for the cichlids. They really are very aggressive fish......

5 gal... Robin, (Betta)
5 gal...Pete, (Betta)
5 gal...Scotty(Betta)
10 gal...Female Betta Sororiety
10 gal... Neons, Glolights and Cardinals, 1 Oto
10 gal... Ram Pair
29 gal... Mbuna Tank
29 gal... Krib Pair, Tiger Barbs, Tetras, 2 Otos
55 gal...5 Australian Rainbows, 1 Angel Fish, 1 Blue Gourami, 6 Congo Tetras, 1 Leopard Ctenopoma, 1 Clown Pleco, 1 UpsideDown Catfish,5 Otos, 1 Bronze Cory, 2 Peppered Cories,2 Panda Cories
Old ,

Mixing fish of different species has always been a troublesom issue to me. The first concideration is; will the various fish thrive in the same water conditions,(temp & ph ect.). As to compatability; the accepted guidelines are not 100% accurate and I don't like to advise people "what can be kept with what". If you want to try mixing barbs and africans get the water as neutral to both as possible in as big a tank as possible with many hiding places. In any case, you have to really watch them closely and be prepaired to move them if things get bad. Mixing fish is iffy!!
Old ,

Yeap, that LFS had Africans with TigerBarbs!!!! Had because apparently one new employee cleaned the tank after cleaning other stuff with Clorox and contaminated the tank!!! ALL FISH DIED. So sad. Anyway they had no problem with them because Cichlids are more territorrial while Tigers like swimming in open areas so apparently that helped. The only thing was that some "purist" complain of why mixing them if you can make an entire african setup. Besides that, no problem. But again the tank is like 200 gallons and the Tigers were huge. Like Dano, I dont like telling people what to do or not, just what we know. May the Force be with you!! hehehe

Old ,

I agree with Dano and Lemuel. There are lot of "ifs" to consider mixing Fish that are deemed incompatible with each other:
- if you have enough space
- if tiger barbs are big enough
- if cichlids are not aggressive towards barbs as they are busy fighting with each other

and so on...

You can try, but be prepared to move them when there is a sign of aggression. Then, the next question will be - where will you move them?

Good Luck!