Polls  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > Freshwater Tropical Fish Discussion > Tropical Fish Compatibility

Tropical Fish Compatibility Questions and comments about compatibility

Old ,

Default Well, here goes nothing....

I hope this works. I was bitten by "cool fish syndrome" over the weekend and bought a couple fish solely on the advice of the LFS. Bad me.

I bought two pea puffers, then researched them and found everything from (paraphrasing of course) 'they'll be fine community fish' to 'they'll murder everything in sight'.

Shocking - conflicting opinions in the fish hobby!

After two days the observations are:

I might have one male (darker,sleeker, smaller) and one female (plumper, paler). The larger one is the more aggressive, in a 'get outta my space' way not an 'I'll chase you till you drop' way towards the other puffer. Neither bothers the rasboras or Hillie. the smaller one loves the bubbler. Both eat frozen bloodworms without complaint as do the rasboras.

As is usual both appear to be juvies so we'll see if their behavior changes. Online reading & the LFS suggest that since they were added last and the other fish are established in the tank it may ward off some aggressiveness, and none are long finned dish. Plan on getting some small pest snails from the fish store and see if the puffers go for them - apparently they love them.

Ah well. If I start noticing nipped fins I'll return them; the Rasbora are quick enough that I should have time to remove the puffers. Of course I could also transfer them to a seperate small tank...

5 Gallon Hex:
Crowntail Betta
Old ,

Default Re: Well, here goes nothing....

a small tank might be your best bet.

"The road to success is dotted with many tempting parking spaces."
Old ,

If it comes to that at least cycling it will go quickly

But we'll see. Two can work in a 5 gallon which I may be able to find room for.

5 Gallon Hex:
Crowntail Betta
Old ,

It appears that you have done the research and know the possibilities. Most just buy the things and sort it out later. I think the puffers are neat fish and can be fun to have. There are a lot of fish that have bad reputations and there is the risk of trouble, but researching and watching them closely can be rewarding. Good luck
Old ,

Thanks Based on their admittedly scant time in the tank, we might be okay until they mature, which is when they seem to become more aggressive. They are really cool fish though; the larger one in particular was really neat to watch after he got in the tank; he investigated everything. He wasn't just swimming around, he was really checking out the plants and the formations and stuff. The smaller one goes up and down the glass and rides the bubbler; not so much the big one.

The small one has also swum with the rasboras.

Oh, and after the Rabsoras had the bloodworms they were buzzing around the tank all night; a super energy boost!

5 Gallon Hex:
Crowntail Betta
Old ,

Wow. I get home and they're hunting Rasboras. I (or rather they) don't have time to set up a tank, and cycling with puffers (even using biospira) in a new tank doesn't strike me as a good idea, so off they go back to the fish store.

They said they don't normally take returns, but given they TOLD ME all would be fine when I informed them of my tank and inhabitants...they will.

Maybe I'll just round out the tank with a larger Rasbora school and keep it simple & safe

5 Gallon Hex:
Crowntail Betta
Old ,

Sorry to see the puffers go bad on you. Sometimes it works and sometimes it don't If they haven't caused too much damage, you might try a little longer with them or just one. Nobody can say you didn't try in any case. Mixing fish is a risky business!! Good luck and thanks for sharing the experience.
Old ,

Well...after getting one out I decided to take a little break and see how things shook out. The one I caught (no easy task!) was the one I saw seeking Rasbora dinner. My wife thought she saw both doing it, but wasn't sure, and I definitely only saw the one going after them. And it turned out the other was ignoring the Rasboras and if anything seemed happier 'going solo'. So, we'll take a shot with one. The other went back to the fish store.

While there we picked up about 7 nuisance snails out of their plant tanks, and brought them home.

Now there's some fascinating behavior. Far as I can tell we have three left this morning. One really small one hanging out on the glass near the filter outflow - the current seems a bit strong for the puffer to handle. But there's little food there so the snail will have to vacate eventually. The other two are on the larger side, little fingernail size. They're quick and can clamp down before the puffer can get in. The others weren't so lucky and it took all of 30 seconds before the puffer showed interest, and the patient waiting game was fun to watch. When down to the two bigger ones, he went from one to the other; just waiting for an opening.

Most importantly for the tank in general, the rasboras resumed happy schooling, and the only acknowlegdement the puffer made of their existence was to get out of the way. He was all about the snails.

So we'll see how things develop from here...

5 Gallon Hex:
Crowntail Betta
Old ,

Update: Peace among the fishes, down to two snails. Hope to pick up some more from the LFS tonite.

5 Gallon Hex:
Crowntail Betta
Old ,

Glad to hear that!!!

5 gal... Robin, (Betta)
5 gal...Pete, (Betta)
5 gal...Scotty(Betta)
10 gal...Female Betta Sororiety
10 gal... Neons, Glolights and Cardinals, 1 Oto
10 gal... Ram Pair
29 gal... Mbuna Tank
29 gal... Krib Pair, Tiger Barbs, Tetras, 2 Otos
55 gal...5 Australian Rainbows, 1 Angel Fish, 1 Blue Gourami, 6 Congo Tetras, 1 Leopard Ctenopoma, 1 Clown Pleco, 1 UpsideDown Catfish,5 Otos, 1 Bronze Cory, 2 Peppered Cories,2 Panda Cories