Polls  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > General Aquarium Care > Disease

Disease Questions and comments about fish diseases.

Old ,

Default Re: I think my dwarf Gouramis is dieing

I was totally shocked when I saw the photos of your fish. I have been messing with fish for more than 45 years and I have never seen a fish of any kind swollen like that and still be alive. What ever is wrong with the fish is way beyond me. I hope you don't mind, but I copied your pic and broght it up to some other aquarists that I respect for their comments.

Last edited by Dano : at .
Old ,
Super Moderator

Holly smokes....I almost fell out of my chair just now when I looked at that!!!

I am glad you posted the pics. rob, as I had no idea the poor thing was that swollen, I don't think a pea will solve that It is also way out of my league Sorry!...perhaps it is a tumour of some kind? Hopefully Dan's friends will have an idea!! Fingers crossed! It is amazing she is still swimming around at all!!

Last edited by Bernie : at .
Old ,

Unhappy Re: I think my dwarf Gouramis is dieing

Hi guys....No Dano I don't mind I want too help it and if your friends can then thats great....I am starting too think there might not be any help for it just too try too make it happy as it can be and wait...It is still swimming and eating and it had a poo last night and it looked the same as it allways has...I am realy starting to worry there is nothing to do but wait.... thx guys Rob

Last edited by grump : at .
Old ,

Exclamation Re: I think my dwarf Gouramis is dieing

Click image for larger version

Name:	STA60018.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	475.6 KB
ID:	2001

This is him befor he got sick hangin' with his buddy..The Angel they hung out all the time...

Click image for larger version

Name:	STA60017.JPG
Views:	178
Size:	474.3 KB
ID:	2002
This is one of my fav's of him...Hope you guys like them I thought you would like too see him befor he got sick...

thanks for the help Dan and Bernie I think he doing he has stoped eating and having a real hard time swimming now...Just hangs out at the top of the tank .... thx again rob
Old ,
Super Moderator

That was very thoughtful of you rob..thanks! He does look like a real sweety

Just wondering if he suddenly became swollen or did it take a long time to get to that stage? If you think he is really starting to suffer now...perhaps it may be time to decide whether you should euthanise or not. A hard decision...I know!
Old ,

hi Bernie it came on over the past week or os it started about 2 days befor I posted and asked for help.... it got too the size it is now and has stayed there for the last few days and today i noticed that he wouldn't eat and he is just staying at the top of the tank gulping air.... To your question about putting it out of the suffering I have thought of it, I think it is best for him.

thanks again for the help rob
Old ,
Super Moderator

From what you just said, I personally think that it might be dropsy and I would try treating with the epsom salts unless you think he is suffering too much already. Epsom salt does not harm fish and shouldn't cause any undue stress, and may help with the fluid buildup in his body.

Last edited by Bernie : at .
Old ,

Bernie the tank is due for a water change today will it be too stressfull on him too do that now or should i wait till i add the epson salt and see if that works first the change can wait another day or so... Or should i just do the water change and leave the vacuume for a day or so, as not to stress him out....I will try the epson salt I would like to try any thing i realy like him it was one of the first one's i got...thx rob
Old ,

Hay bernie and dano I would like too thank you guys for the help I have learned a lot with this thread about Dropsy and other dieases.... I just went too add the epson salts and I found he had died it was this morning some time because when I checked on him when I got up he was still alive... With and inspection of him I found that it was a retention of liquid that was almost like water clear and not too thick.... So if can tell what it was from that I would like too know so if it happens again.... you guys had said some thing about freeze dried blood worms could that have caused this i feed all the fish blood worms as a treat twice a week....
Thanks again guys Rob....
Old ,
Super Moderator

I am really sorry to hear that Rob...that is so sad

I am no expert by any means on diseases and I would only be guessing, as there are so many fish diseases with similar symptoms. It did sound like Dropsy to me and it can be brought on by many different things....diet, water quality, constipation, swim bladder problems, tumours, virus, parasite, bacteria etc.

These links may help if you haven't already seen them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_Dropsy

http://www.aboutfishonline.com/articles/dropsy.html

and this thread lists some sites that has info. on most diseases.

http://www.tropicalfishforum.net/showthread.php?t=607

Re: the freeze dried bloodworms, I think a small amount twice a week is Ok..just soak them first in a bit of tank water so the worms expand with the moisture first. I prefer feeding frozen bloodworms to freeze dried myself, but that is just my preference.