Polls  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > General Aquarium Care > Disease

Disease Questions and comments about fish diseases.

Old ,

Default Columnaris?

I got four new dwarf neon rainbows on Saturday. On Sunday I noticed one of the females had what appeared to be a small white pimple on the end of her nose (top of her mouth)? She was otherwise normal. On Monday, it appeared that the little white pimple was floating into and out of her mouth. Again, she's otherwise acting normal. This morning, I noticed a small white pimple on the chin (bottom of the mouth) on one of the males. Again, all are acting normal, eating fine I did some online research. Does this sound like columnaris? I am a newbie and a bit terrified by the prospect of having sick fish and treating the tank. Any advice?
Old ,

Default Re: Columnaris?

With Columnaris, white fuzzy/cottony growth appears on the mouth and body. It spreads very quickly and kills fast. What you are describing sounds more like a bacterial infection to me. Are those areas red at all? What are the numbers for levels of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?
Old ,

No areas are red. And nothing seems to be growing, and fish are acting and eating normally. My ammonia is 0; nitrites are 0 and nitrates are 10 -- all as of this morning with the API kit. My temp is 78 and ph is 7. I am finding that I am quite neurotic about my tank. And this was supposed to be a relaxing endeavor!!!!
Old ,

For now add some melafix If they get worse or it spreads more try a more potent anti-biotic like Maracyn or Jungle Labs Fungus Clear (also fights bacterial infections)