Polls  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > General Aquarium Care > Disease

Disease Questions and comments about fish diseases.

Old ,

Default Re: I'm in trouble.....

The same thing happened to me when I was going through the ick crisis.
The older fish were getting the ick but the fry were completly healthy.

Maybe fry have better immune systems
Old ,

just picked off a few dead frye......
Old ,

Oh...so sorry! They will breed again, over and over and over...next time you'll be ready!

5 gal... Robin, (Betta)
5 gal...Pete, (Betta)
5 gal...Scotty(Betta)
10 gal...Female Betta Sororiety
10 gal... Neons, Glolights and Cardinals, 1 Oto
10 gal... Ram Pair
29 gal... Mbuna Tank
29 gal... Krib Pair, Tiger Barbs, Tetras, 2 Otos
55 gal...5 Australian Rainbows, 1 Angel Fish, 1 Blue Gourami, 6 Congo Tetras, 1 Leopard Ctenopoma, 1 Clown Pleco, 1 UpsideDown Catfish,5 Otos, 1 Bronze Cory, 2 Peppered Cories,2 Panda Cories
Old ,

Guess not maybe it's just betta fry
Old ,

Yes, the Biro-Spira worked for me on two seperate tanks. I would bring a cold pack with me on the way to the store; the stuff has to be kept cold or the bacteria will not be any good when you add it to the tank.... so if you have a drive or a walk or a train to catch to get to your store, I would advise bringins a cold pack.

I tracked both tanks - each day I took samples and watched them cycle through amazingly fast...

Some of the other products don't work as well as the Biro-Spira because they don't have all of the live bacteria that BSpira has.

No I don't own stock in the Biro-Spira company either
10 gallon assort guppies & platy
3 - 3 gallons 1 betta each
1 - 75 gallon - 2 raphael catfish, 1 melanistus cory, 5 trilineatus, 3 kuhlis, 10 diamond tetras, 5 albino danios, 7 panda cory
Old ,

Question Re: I'm in trouble.....

Hi to all! I'm writting with some news to the issues I've had. I do have one question and maybe this completes this thread for now. I think the ick is under control. Fish have regained their color and are acting normal. I will continue the 30 day regimen to the end and see how we do. As far as the chemistry: ammonia, nitrites and nitrates are reading at 0ppm. My question is: Is there any chance the coppersafe has uncycled my tank? Because I would like to think that maybe 6 weeks or so later I am done cycling. To my bad fortune I spent the majority of this time testing with dip sticks but now that I have proper testing supplies everything is testing at 0ppm for a few days now. I am having some Ph, Kh and Gh issues but I will be posting a new thread about all that under 'water quality'. I also had a 24 hour scare thinking that I had dropsy and I was on the verge of tears until I read about fish constipation. You see I added some new foods to the diet but I understand that I have to increade the veggies now. Everyone looked very bloated but 2 days later we are back to normal! Please let me know if the readings I am getting are normal established tank readings or should I be looking for some spikes particularly in my nitrates?
Old ,

Hi Ishy

Well, it sounds like you've gone through quite an ordeal to save your tank and take proper care of your fish, so I take my hat off to you

One thing to remember you've done some major water changes and some smaller water changes on a continual basis. I'm willing to bet that may have played havoc with your balance. I'm unfamiliar with coppersafe and aquarium cycles; I would suggest reading up on the product itself. If I recall correctly, some additives can throw your cycle out of whack, but from what I rmember reading, I don't think your tank was completed cycled to begin with...

this combined with the high number of water changes probably reset your tank. I'm guessing, though, based on your past posts.

I would suggest taking daily readings to track the levels. If you see the levels start to change, you know that it is restarting its cycle. Usually people take weekly readings anyway, more often when the tank is cycling.

If you see that the tank is starting to cycle, you can assume that for one reason or another, the ecological balance was upset. If the levels don't change at all over the next month or so, then the tank is probably already cycled and set.

you should still do weekly water changes of 10% - 20%.

I hope this helps... I've only recently returned to aquarium hobby, so maybe someone else has better information than I, but I think this sounds right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishy View Post
Hi to all! I'm writting with some news to the issues I've had. I do have one question and maybe this completes this thread for now. I think the ick is under control. Fish have regained their color and are acting normal. I will continue the 30 day regimen to the end and see how we do. As far as the chemistry: ammonia, nitrites and nitrates are reading at 0ppm. My question is: Is there any chance the coppersafe has uncycled my tank? Because I would like to think that maybe 6 weeks or so later I am done cycling. To my bad fortune I spent the majority of this time testing with dip sticks but now that I have proper testing supplies everything is testing at 0ppm for a few days now. I am having some Ph, Kh and Gh issues but I will be posting a new thread about all that under 'water quality'. I also had a 24 hour scare thinking that I had dropsy and I was on the verge of tears until I read about fish constipation. You see I added some new foods to the diet but I understand that I have to increade the veggies now. Everyone looked very bloated but 2 days later we are back to normal! Please let me know if the readings I am getting are normal established tank readings or should I be looking for some spikes particularly in my nitrates?
10 gallon assort guppies & platy
3 - 3 gallons 1 betta each
1 - 75 gallon - 2 raphael catfish, 1 melanistus cory, 5 trilineatus, 3 kuhlis, 10 diamond tetras, 5 albino danios, 7 panda cory