Polls  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > General Aquarium Care > Disease

Disease Questions and comments about fish diseases.

Old ,

Default Re: Pleco and platy ill please help!

ok thanks for that im at a loss then because there is no sign of improvement and im not sure what to do any suggestions??
Old ,

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADAMeh View Post
ok thanks for that im at a loss then because there is no sign of improvement and im not sure what to do any suggestions??

At this point what have you done for your tank? Have you done any water changes? If you have did you end up using store bought drinking water (distilled, spring, reverse osmosis [RO]) to reduce the nitrate levels?

What are your current water perameters (and are you using a liquid test kit or a test strip, as the kits usually give truer results)?

Have your fish been eliminating excriment (pooping)? If not feed a couple squished up peas.

Dave
Old ,

ok have done an initial water change of 50% and added some poly filter ammonia is reading nil and nitrate is down to 40ppm some of the fish have been pooping but the platy has stopped eating?? i am using the nutrafin master test kit which is liquid? i also have a tablet test kit aswell whihc is better?
Old ,

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADAMeh View Post
ok have done an initial water change of 50% and added some poly filter ammonia is reading nil and nitrate is down to 40ppm some of the fish have been pooping but the platy has stopped eating?? i am using the nutrafin master test kit which is liquid? i also have a tablet test kit aswell whihc is better?

ok so you have fixed the initial problem (water quality) now to work on the secondary problem your platy not eating.

If your platy is female and is pregnant (can't tell from the photo, would need a better side view that shows her back to her belly) and is very close to giving birth she may not eat alot.

Does she have hiding spots? this may help her both in eating and in feeling secure (especially if she is pregnant... and I am NOT saying she is).

could she be resting (I commonly see my guppies and swordtails resting on the bottom of the tank when I first turn on the tank light)? Observe her throughout the day and see if her behavior changes (my swordtail female will sometimes ignore flake food to eat baby pond snails that are in her tank).

I am just throwing ideas out for you to consider as I, right now, can't offer anything definate.

Dave
Old ,

sadly the blue platy died but atleast he is not suffering no more as he has been breathing heavy for a few weeks, this morning i did notice a red mark on his side but by the time i got home from work it was to late attached are some pics of this, also my pleco is very quiet an not very active and breathing heavy he looks fine any ideas thank you all
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fishes 003.jpg
Views:	441
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	2075  Click image for larger version

Name:	fishes 011.jpg
Views:	455
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	2076  Click image for larger version

Name:	fishes 013.jpg
Views:	425
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	2077  
Old ,

The red area on the Platy may have beed from a bacterial infection....You said the fish were breathing heavy....Did they hover at the top gulping for air?.....Is it possible that some air bourne contaminate could have gotten into the tank? (air freshener, pesticide,furnature polish).........Are you sure the ammonia is at 0 and the ph between 6.5 and 8.0?...Temp not above 84*f or below 74*f?......Any co2 injecting?
Old ,

yes the fish are breathing heavy mostly at the bottom but did have a little spell yesterday hovering at the top, it may be possible for some contaminate to get in the water but i have no sprays in the room ho air freshner etc. double cheked amonia its still 0 ph is 8 and temp is 79f no co2 injection either.
Old ,

Do your normal tank maintenance routine, but don't add any more fish for two to three weeks.....Hopefully anything wrong in the tank will clear up naturally........I hate to see you having all these troubles.
Old ,

thank you for your concern dano. My angel is bretahing rather heavy an has been for about 4 days now im worried she will go the same way as my platy also my pleco has shown no improvement im not sure what to do at a loss??