Polls  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > General Aquarium Care > Disease

Disease Questions and comments about fish diseases.

Old ,

Default Livebearer, fry & velvet

Hi all! Had my tank settled for a while now, until i introduced some mollies last wk. They brought white spot AND velvet with them! Iv treated for white spot which has gone, done a 30% water change and plan to add treatment for th velvet tomoro. My levels are fine and iv increased th temp to 80-82 and hav left th light off as iv been told th parasite needs it. Thing is, yesterday one molly had 13fry which are in a breeding trap and another is about to drop anyday now. Im a bit worried how th meds wil effect my fry? Any advice wud be gud pls x
Old ,

Default Re: Livebearer, fry & velvet

sounds risky using meds with fry present
if it were me i would just up the water changes to keep water quality at its finest and use salt
maybe some one else could chime in with some more expertise
Old ,

I'm assuming that the white spot you are refering to is ick.....Ick and velvet are similar disesaes and are treated the same way....What med did you use BTW?....................Use half doses if you feel the meds will affect the fry or isolate the fry from the diseased tank with a teaspoon of salt per gallon in with them....They need to be kept at or above 78*F also.
Old ,

I have nowhere to isolate them at the moment. Iv already put in th salt. I just used a 2dose anti-whitespot treatment by interpet from my lfs. They'v defo got velvet stil. Iv already noticed th fry flicking too. I think all i can do is try using half th dose. thanks x
Old ,

Well, before i put in th meds i had a dead guppy yesterday. Then after speakin 2lfs i put in th normal dose for th velvet. Today, i had a dead gourami. Ther doesnt seem to be any change in the fishes behaviour, i.e stil flickin, rubbin and shiny lookin. The fry however seem to be doin great. Ther eatin loads and swimmin around. How long does it normally take before u notice th meds workin? I had my water tested at the lfs n its all fine! Grr. The meds stay active for few days too so cant add another dose until next wk. X