Tim's Web Quiz  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > General Aquarium Care > Air Pumps

Air Pumps Questions and comments about air pumps

Old ,
Super Moderator

Question Do You Need One

I would like people's opinions as to whether an air pump is necessary to have in a tank if you have filters. I have one but don't use it and now with 7 small tanks that is a lot of air pumps! most of my tanks have 2 HOB filters on them.
Old ,

Default Re: Do You Need One

I have never used an air pump and I've never had any problems with not enough oxygen in the water, etc. I've had three tanks, two with HOB filters, and my 46 gallon has a canister filter. But I have that attachment on it the sucks in the surface water, so I know there's lots of aeration going on.

I think that generally if you have HOB filters, there should be enough aeration in the tank without an air pump, and if you have two HOBs on each tank, then I'd say you're in the clear.
Old ,
Super Moderator

Thanks Gillian - i did try the air pump a long time ago but the fish didn't seem to like it which is why i use the 2 filters to provide more oxygen - it may be overkill to use 2 but the water is definitely cleaner faster.
Old ,

I don't use one in my tropical tank. As long as your filter disturbs the surface enough and you aren't overstocked, most tropical tanks don't need them. Larger fish that produce more waste like big cichlids usually need them, and coldwater fish generally need them too. Goldfish use a lot of oxygen and do best with them. Also, if you have a heavilly planted tank, you will need extra oxygen at night. Plants produce O2, but only during the day with the light.
Old ,

Hi there LittleHippyGirl,

I'm new to the forum and was just reading this thread. I have what I would describe as a heavily planted tank. (125 litres). I do have an airstone as well as a bubble curtain (not sure if you refer to this as a air wand on this forum). My plants are a little light in colour. I give them easy carbo (which I understand protects against algae) and a plant fertiliser daily. I usually leave the bubbles on 24/7. Do you think that I should only put the bubbles on at night.

I am very new to fishkeeping and there seems as awful lot to learn.

Thanks - any advice most appreciated.

Michelle
Old ,

Arrow Re: Do You Need One

Hi Jelly!! I would advice to take out the bubbles from the tank if you plan to keep plants. Thats because plants need CO2 and if you disturb the surface (like with the bubbles) more and more CO2 will "escape" the tank. Dont over fertilize the tank, as you will see that the algae will take over. If your tank is large consider buying pond fertilizers, which come in more concentrated formulas are a lot cheaper!!! Good luck!!

"It's better being happy than being right"
Old ,

Hi Lemuelpr,

I have been adding C02 by way of a product called 'Easycarbo' - this is it in liquid form.

I do have a nicely planted tank, but wonder if i could turn the bubbles off from time to time (they are very noisey). I used to have black feather algae, but since adding the c02 liquid carbon, it has disappeared.

I fertilise with a made up recipe which works out really cheaply for me, I got this reciepe from other sites on the web. (these are macros and micros).

Thank you for your advice - maybe I will turn the bubbles off during the day and on at night for the fish - what do you think

Michelle
Old ,

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemuelpr View Post
Hi Jelly!! I would advice to take out the bubbles from the tank if you plan to keep plants. Thats because plants need CO2 and if you disturb the surface (like with the bubbles) more and more CO2 will "escape" the tank. Dont over fertilize the tank, as you will see that the algae will take over. If your tank is large consider buying pond fertilizers, which come in more concentrated formulas are a lot cheaper!!! Good luck!!

Maybe this is why my plants arn't growing as well?
10 gallon: Krib fry!!!
8 gallon: 1 Male betta
Neoblaze (Aka Cole )
Old ,

The funny thing about airstones is that the bubbles themselves don't really add a lot of oxygen to the water. Water movement actually does a lot more. Airstones do move the water around a bit, but if you have enough filters, you really don't need them, unless you like the look of them. If you really want to add oxygen to your water, I would go with a powerhead.
Old ,

1. Can you write how to make the fertilizer?
2. If water plants are the same as land plants then they cosume CO2 during the day and oxygen during the night(if my memory of basic biology/botanics dont fail me). So turning the bubbleas @ night might not be a bad idea at all.
3. Try checking other options for adding CO2 as those liquids are kind of expensive. You can make your own CO2 system for almost nothing. I havent done it yet but someone explained it to me and it was super simple. I plan to do it soon.
Later Michelle

"It's better being happy than being right"