Polls  
    Tim's Web Quiz  
  Polls - Freshwater  
  Polls - Saltwater  

Go Back   Tropical Fish Forum . Net > General Aquarium Care > Disease

Disease Questions and comments about fish diseases.

Old ,

Default Tuberculosis in freshwater tanks

I recently lost a danios that was emaciated and scrawny. His body was completely emaciated. He died about two weeks after I noticed that he was ill. A second danio had what appeared to be 'pop eye' disease. I treated the entire tank with tetracycline. The pop eye went away and I have lost no more fish.

I am concerned that this could actually be tuberculosis. I wash my hands every time I work with the tank, but I'm in and out of there often, doing water changes etc.

I've tried to do some research on successful transmission of this disease to humans and its all very lofty reading.

I'm really wondering at this point, if this warrants checking in with my medical doctor or exactly how concerned I should be about this. I know the incubation period for the disease is 2 weeks - 3 months in humans or never if the disease remains latent. I would like to take a water sample somewhere to have it checked to see if TB is present within, but I'm not sure if this is done or where to take a sample.

If anyone has had experience with this, I would appreciate any supportive and informative information that you care to share.
10 gallon assort guppies & platy
3 - 3 gallons 1 betta each
1 - 75 gallon - 2 raphael catfish, 1 melanistus cory, 5 trilineatus, 3 kuhlis, 10 diamond tetras, 5 albino danios, 7 panda cory

Last edited by Greensleeves : at .
Old ,

Default Re: Tuberculosis in freshwater tanks

Call and explain this to your family physician.
Old ,

Default Re: Tuberculosis in freshwater tanks

I did a lot of reading last night and apparently this does not make the jump to humans easily and it is in fact, present in a large number of aquariums without the owners ever being aware of it. Bettas, danios and neons are some of the most high-instance carriers.

I will call the doctor on Monday and see what they say. I live in a very small town so most likely, I will not have an immediate answer.

The good news is that the type of TB that fish get is not the same that causes lung problems in humans.
10 gallon assort guppies & platy
3 - 3 gallons 1 betta each
1 - 75 gallon - 2 raphael catfish, 1 melanistus cory, 5 trilineatus, 3 kuhlis, 10 diamond tetras, 5 albino danios, 7 panda cory